1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Great question, but I pose a third answer: I want to read or hear someone who is well-versed but also passionate about the event, not necessarily about the specific participants. I don't care if it's the Super Bowl or the PeeWee football game, make me feel like I'm sitting there next to you as you explain what's going on. Make that game come alive in your retelling.

You don't have to resort to cliches or overwrought prose. Nuts and bolts. Connect the dots. Five Ws and the H. But at least write or speak like you care that you were on the scene, even if you weren't.

It's not always easy to do that. But the best in the business do it all the time. Strive to be better than a fanboi or a curmudgeon.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    PaperDoll and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In his Feherty biography's acknowledgements, Feinstein thanks Coach K. I might use a more colorful phrase than "pedestal polishing."

BurnsWhenIPee and maumann like this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Of course. Couldn't agree with you more.

Just pointing out the dichotomy of shitting on the fanboi while possibly praising or at least accepting the old veteran, no matter how much he obviously hates most of his meatball readers.

And while the former are exploding on the scene, there are still plenty of the latter in most of the major sports cities.

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Exactly. The business is always evolving. Evolve with it or become a dinosaur.

dixiehack, MeanGreenATO and PaperDoll like this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

And Mike Crudale.

Gammo's ESPN columns were so poorly written you would think a middle schooler wrote them.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And ... I'll suggest that the curmudgeon probably wasn't always a curmudgeon. Can we say the same of the fanboi?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. I had to look up that reference but it's perfect.

I guess I was still young and dumb (or younger and dumber), but I never thought the ESPN.com pieces were that bad. But he is unreadable now, both on Twitter and whenever he writes at The Athletic. Just senseless, meandering stream of consciousness nonsense in which the only thread is him dropping names. I'd be fine with the poorly written columns if he wasn't such a phony. A classic limousine liberal in every sense of the phrase. Go ask the Black players from Boston what he didn't do during the '70s and '80s.

Fdufta likes this.
  8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

This is my perspective, as well. But I don't have her audience. I'm just a Joe Schmoe in my alma mater's town of 15k. My followers count is only around 1k, but I'm not going to shy away from "rooting" for my college alma mater.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I'm going to get heat for this, but it should be said: This kind of mentality is what will keep you in a town of 15k. Writing the quality stuff that moves the needle in other markets requires ruffling a few feathers in town. And that's ultimately what lands people better gigs.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I vote for the curmudgeon. The fanboi is probably never going to break any news the team does not want him it release anyway. And in the age of the internet if I want to read a press release I can just go to the team's website and don't need to pay for a subscription to read the rewrite. [/QUOTE]

Woody Long likes this.
  11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I have no desire to move to a bigger town.

12. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

In that case, you might as well go full homer.

Draft saved Draft deleted