1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

… and he learned much from both of their styles.

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Son of a son of a ... take your damn likes.

Inky_Wretch and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

A former sportswriter at The Oregonian, who has written a book on the man, weighs in on Buffett.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Link isn’t working for me.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Not sure why Rolling Stone didn't publish this before, but here's an old interview from their archives that was never released.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...ead-last-interview-margaritaville-1234819407/

And Jimmy, when you do leave us, how would you like to be remembered? What would you like people to say about you?
    I’d say “He had a good time and made a lot of people happy” would be good. Yeah, that’d be good.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's really on a short list of people who became a real "brand" - their personality/lifestyle became synonymous with what they were selling. Martha Stewart, Walt Disney, Hefner, maybe even Musk, Steve Jobs for sure. I'm guessing you put Trump on the list too.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If you haven't watched the series on YouTube his daughter shot for Songs You Don't Know by Heart, I highly recommend it.
    He tells the story behind a lot of his greatest songs, as far as I'm concerned. When they released it as songs you don't know, I laughed because that's the backbone of my playlist.
    The thing that cracked me up is I knew the lyrics to those songs better than he did.

Inky_Wretch and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Same. Same.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Some would say "Jump" was, in and of itself, selling out in the first place...
    (I actually love "Jump," but still...)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted