1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Which arguments or tenets of the Left would Jesus reject if he were here?

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think Jesus would have to go far beyond that He is, indeed, the son of God to create a disagreement. The left does not broadly extol that - or even believe it.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

not your interpretation of Christ, no.

There were clandestine Catholics at Jamestown. This was just discovered in the archaeology within the last decade or so.
    Even in 1609-10 there was a compulsion in this country to hide one's true faith because it did not fall in line with hardline Anglicanism.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's almost like folks have always known life is better if they keep their personal relationship with the almighty to themselves.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's not an answer to @tapintoamerica's question.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it is. The Left extols religious tolerance and ecumenicalism, which, as a matter of course in the United States, is not a bad thing.

Jesus made exclusive (and offensive) claims.

I suppose the way in which Jesus is in greatest opposition to the left or the right would be in what he appears to think of being left or right accomplishes for a person's soul. Which is: Very little. He's radical enough to subject himself to execution by the state as a means of transcending the authority of the state.

If he didn't rise from the dead, it's an act of a madman.

If he did, he's the son of God.

Liut, jr/shotglass and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My interpretation of Christ? Catholics don't think he's the son of God?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jesus ... the original anarchy burger.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I have a badly translated New Testament because Jesus seems to stress de-emphasizing self interests in favor of the common. All that help the poor and love other people as you would yourself is probably a misprint. From what I’ve been hearing from some folks “God given rights” give me carte blanche to be a despot of my own mini kingdom.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, that's a little more to the point. My quibble is that @tapintoamerica's question was a secular one: Of the broad policy positions that could credibly be ascribed to "the Left," which would He reject?" Your answer was, and remains, a religious one.

In my view, an answer might be that "the Left" (and I use the quotes to emphasize I'm not sure there is such a definitive thing) places great stock in responsibilities that in theory are "ours" but in practice become "theirs." Jesus' ethical charge, however, falls on the individual (in my view): What are you going to do about it? He said "Feed my sheep," not "See to it my sheep are fed." So, sure, bitch all you want about how "the rich aren't doing their fair share." Jesus would certainly agree with you. But He'd also note that you could do more, too.

franticscribe and jr/shotglass like this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. I have the same problem with the black-and-white labels. It's mental shorthand.

I'm reminded of Chris Rock's liberal-conservative bit which ended with: "On gun control, I'm conservative. On prostitution, I'm liberal."

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted