1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We're going to the Finger Lakes next weekend. Great dispensary along Cayuga Lake. (Hi, YankeeFan!)

Oh, there are some wineries, too. ;)

HanSenSE and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Perfect storm of meh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten_Island_Yankees

Prior to the 2020 season, it was announced that the team would be shuttered when the MLB/MiLB agreement ended at the conclusion of the 2020 season under a proposed plan calling for the Short Season Class A designation to be eliminated.[10] The start of the 2020 season was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic before ultimately being cancelled on June 30.[11][12] On November 7, 2020, the New York Yankees announced that they were withdrawing from Staten Island as well as abandoning their affiliation with the Trenton Thunder as they were moving forward with their new Double-A affiliate: the Somerset Patriots, but they would seek to place a team from the independent Atlantic League at Richmond County Bank Ballpark in 2021.[13] On December 3, 2020, the Staten Island Yankees announced that the club would cease operations.[14]

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Woody Long likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My late brother-in-law is from the Finger Lakes area. He and my sister loved going there and the kids did, too. His dad and sister still love up there. Haven't been able to get up there.

Liut and jr/shotglass like this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

One of the most memorable quotes I ever got was when I went to Bakersfield -- Historic Sam Lynn Ballpark, held together by spider webs and termite shit -- for Orel Hershiser's first rehab game after surgery. I got there in the afternoon and tried to featurize the event. One thing I did was interview the first guy in line. He said he got there the previous night, before that game ended because he thought people would exit the stadium and immediately get in line. He pulled his 10-year-old son out of school, he said, because for his son to see Hershiser was the same as him getting to see Koufax years before. And, "This is the biggest thing to happen to Bakersfield since the last George Strait concert."

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That was great. I covered a Northeast League team in '96 or '97. They weren't very good and their park was rundown and a relic of the '80s. But they were better than Yonkers!

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As someone from Denver I strongly encourage you to go about the second week of October. The aspens in Colorado turning is great but autumn in Upstate New York is something you don't see in Colorado. I have done Letchmore State Park (A canyon about 15 miles long) and Niagara Falls. I went a week or so late and they were closing Watkins Glen State Park which is supposed to be great .

MileHigh likes this.
  8. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

In 1987, my family took our annual vacation to Lake Keuka, where we stayed at a "resort" owned by the family of one of our neighbors in New Jersey. The area was beautiful, the resort, not so much. It was probably the closest our family ever came to a full Griswold experience -- other than the time we went to HersheyPark and my dad, ever the cheapskate, balked at the ticket prices, so we did the factory tour and went home the next morning.

I've since been back up there a lot when I worked upstate and for family events with a former gal pal. It's a nice, tranquil area. Hope I get back sometime.

Liut and MileHigh like this.
  9. MileHigh

My parents have been and raved about upstate N.Y. in the fall. They also hit up Acadia.

10. MileHigh

Definitely need to get up there some day. Obviously I know his dad and sister who still live up there most of the year. (My BIL's brother lived up there and recently passed away.) His sister had a pie shop that she recently passed off to her daughter.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I left this out because it is in the northern part of the state but Adironack State Park in Northern New York is great. The place is huge, it is over 9,0000 square miles though it is not contiguous. Lake Placid is in the park so you get beautiful mountains. I know they are not as beautiful as the Colorado Rockies but you also get beautiful lakes. And very few people are these because the area is basically mountains and parklands.

Baron Scicluna and MileHigh like this.
  12. MileHigh

Totally believe it. With how wet of a year we've had here in the Rockies, the leaf peeping here in the next six to eight weeks is going to be pretty good -- unless we get early snow.

Draft saved Draft deleted