1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

HersheyPark deserves it. Some of the biggest price ripoffs around.

There is no question any more that for these parts, a trip to Lancaster and surrounding areas is a far superior vacation spot. Dutch Wonderland might be better than Hershey alone.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Oh that’s funny. To me early snow = much more dramatic fall photography.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Maybe a day or two with the dramatic shots of the two seasons, but the snow (especially if it's heavy) kills off the color pretty quickly.

4. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Haven't been to Hershey in years. Ended up getting to go to HersheyPark a couple years later in eighth grade on a big class trip. It was pretty good. Now that I'm a dad with a job, I can understand where my dad was coming from, I guess.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Cannot remember if I've told this story before but ...
    Traveled to Hershey to take in Bears' games on Friday and Saturday nights.
    Saturday morning, I'm in the Bears' P.R. guy's office when someone from Penn's version of its high school activities organization walks in and says, "My p.a. announcer has dropped out."
    That afternoon, HersheyPark Arena was site of a couple of state basketball playoff games.
    The P.R. guy points to me and says, "Maybe he can do it."
    Long story short, I did. It was certainly a cramming session prior trying to study pronouncers and such.
    After those games, hung around and watched the crew pull up the basketball court and set the place up for the Bears.
    After that game, I visited the Pink Pussycat.
    I recall it was a long, but interesting and productive day.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I found it fascinating the few times I had to finish a story in the Old Barn while they were shifting from basketball to hockey. I also remember a district playoff game when Sam Bowie played for Lebanon. They were facing Carlisle. It was unseasonably warm, and the court began to "sweat" from the ice underneath. Players couldn't cut without doing a belly flop or worse. They had to suspend the game near halftime.

Liut likes this.
  7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Is BuffaCheer decked out in “I Believe” apparel today?

Liut and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You only cover us when you get off the bench!

9. Baron Scicluna

I’ve been to the Finger Lakes a couple of times, to Ithaca and Skaneateles. Beautiful area.

I just love how Skaneateles is actually pronounced as “Skinny Atlas”. After all, Fat Atlas works just as hard and deserves a Finger Lakes town and lake.

maumann, Woody Long and MileHigh like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Roger Kahn wrote a fun book about the year he owned the Utica team.

Tighthead and HanSenSE like this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All about her shoes.

And root, root, root for the home teams.

Liut likes this.
  12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I cringe and then I am instantly grateful this shiz wasn't around when I was a 22-year-old rock star (or however old she is)
    There are reasons the human brain doesn't hit full development until the mid-20s.
    And she is presumably sober doing all this.

MileHigh, Liut and Dog8Cats like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted