1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

1. One of my high school friends has a Sept. 11 birthday. My first girlfriend's birthday was Jan. 28. I imagine it's not easy to go out and celebrate when the days are now remembered for tragic reasons that are only coincidental.

2. We're programmed to remember anniversaries in five- and 10-year intervals. I imagine 2026 -- 25 years since -- will be the next huge nationwide introspection for 9/11. That'll also be 40 years for Challenger in January 2026.

3. When more people were born after than before a huge event, the less presence it has in our daily lives. It'll be 60 years this November since Kennedy was assassinated, still a life-changing moment for anyone over 70. But like Pearl Harbor, D-Day, VE Day and VJ Day, so many of the people who remember where they were when they heard the news have died. If not for Veterans Day, would Nov. 11 have any significance to us, more than 100 years after the end of hostilities in Europe? I don't know.

We remember the Maine, the Alamo, the Titantic and countless other moments of history but their exact dates aren't that critical to our daily lives. Human lifetimes are short compared to recorded history. Finding our car keys is hard enough.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that there is some level of fatigue, even in NYC.

I used to work for a company which suffered great losses on 9/11 (although I joined about 6 years later) and even there, I get a sense from my former colleagues who survived that day (by not being in the office) that after the 20th anniversary, some part of them wants to remember their co-workers but get back to it being a semi-normal day.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think we've arrived at the point that it is "noted" with significant anniversaries 25th, 30th etc. having more of a to-do. On the one hand, I think a lot of people remember all too well - but also the 20 plus years of war that followed. And I think there is a bit of mixed emotions, knowing both the toll of 9/11 and the war after. Twice as many Americans died, countless more injured in the wars that followed.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We've been on a war footing since 9/11. It'd be nice to stop venerating the military.

swingline likes this.
  5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My 9/11 truther friend has been quiet today.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Never forget ...
    upload_2023-9-11_19-29-38.jpeg

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

FFS

matt_garth likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Trump: The same guy who wanted a photo op with Taliban leaders on 9/11/19.

Never forget.

OscarMadison and UNCGrad like this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I worked at 2 World Trade Center until October 2000. The Port Authority wanted to rent entire floors and my company only had half of the 27th. A colleague showed me the other half of the floor, which had never been finished. After 27 years still concrete floor, fireproofed girders and jobsite lighting. He said there were many floors like it in the towers. So we moved to Newark. I lost a cousin at 1 WTC. Still have the WTC Fire Emergency flashlight issued to volunteer fire wardens that I took as a memento.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’ve only really seen stuff from the usual “look at me!” Facebook friends. Even the “I’m so Merica I have an American flag bald Eagle flying over an American flag” peeps aren’t really saying much.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Fox News lies. All.the.time.

"Fox & Friends anchor Ainsley Earhardt claimed that “every president since 9/11 has been at one of these sites,” and that Biden’s trip to Alaska constitutes a “huge break from tradition.”

While Biden will be the first president to commemorate the 9/11 attacks from the West Coast, Earhardt’s claim is patently false.

Biden is not the first president to mark the anniversary of 9/11 from somewhere other than Ground Zero, or one of the other sites that were attacked. Former Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama both commemorated the day from the White House lawn at different times. In 2021, Trump went to New York City but opted out of the official Ground Zero ceremony."

Republicans Are Mad Biden Is Spending 9/11 in Alaska. Anyone Remember What Trump Did?

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted