1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Also, the story of Jesus matters because he was, in the Christian faith, the son of God, and, as He said in the only response/justification He offered in a sham of a trial, a king, of Heaven and Earth, again, according to the faith.

What king, usually, dies for his people? And, in fact, has that as his actual purpose? Usually, it's the other way around, and people die for their king.

And what Father/God offers his son to die for others? It makes Jesus, and his story, unlike any other.

Azrael likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1, First bold is LOL and sounds more like Lou Levov.

2, Second bold sounds like Jesus was a supreme narcissist?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sort of,

https://www.history.com/news/resurrection-stories-ancient-cultures

But Christianity isn’t the only ancient faith to worship a deity who dies and then rises again, as the Scottish anthropologist James Frazer explained in The Golden Bough, his landmark 1922 study of world religion and mythology.

In the ancient Near East, where the Bible was written, stories of divine death and resurrection were closely tied with the agricultural cycle, and Frazer believed that early Christians likely chose a spring date for Easter to coincide with existing pagan festivals for their resurrected gods.

“Taken altogether, the coincidences of the Christian with the heathen festivals are too close and too numerous to be accidental,” concluded Frazer.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There are also other resurrections in the Bible.

https://get.tithe.ly/blog/the-other-resurrections-in-the-bible

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Resurrections are also components of Zoroastrianism and Hellenistic mystery religions.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He thinks he's the son of God. So do I.

If you don't believe that, then, yes, he is a supreme narcissist.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that you focus on that rather than address what tapintoamerica wrote. Far too many people who call themselves Christians focus the importance of Jesus and forget about the part of his teachings that focus on loving and helping the people who need it most, whether they be poor in the worldly sense or in spirit.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How I live my life - what I give to, the ways I serve the marginalized in all those contexts - matters in regard to the second part.

But if tapintoamerica wants to make the argument that Jesus' ministry is akin to a modern day member of the progressive social democratic movement, make the argument. Plenty of Republicans have done just the opposite. Hasn't gone well.

9. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Yes, scholars have long noted the influence Zoroastrianism had on the Abrahamic religions. There was even a Mithras cult in first-century Rome that the Christians stamped out once they had acquired the power of the state.

garrow likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not going to put words in his mouth and neither should you. I'm focusing more on so-called Christians, regardless of political affiliation, choosing to ignore such an important part of Jesus's teachings. You can claim to do things for others in your posts if you like. That is between you, them, and G-d, as far as I'm concerned. We can't see that. We have no idea if it is true. What we see is what you write, which seems determined to ignore the way so many Christians fail to live up to that part of Jesus's teachings.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, they aren't questioning if they're Jews. The Hasidim know that they are - that's their problem. They (or more precisely some of them) just think that others are doing it poorly.

PaperDoll likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Harvest King/Queen sacrificed is a trope as old as shamans.

Draft saved Draft deleted