1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have encountered Hasidim who will tell you that if you are not one of them, you are not Jewish. The same is true of many Orthodox Jews.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I am one of those scholars

Mr._Graybeard likes this.
  3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's bizarre. If you mean patrilineal descent or non-Orthodox conversions, that would make more sense, but if they're just saying if you're not one of us, you're not one of Us, that's the equivalent of saying that Carlos Rodon isn't a real Yankee.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Any time Mithras / Mithraism comes up, I recommend to everyone's attention the great American novel, The Recognitions, by William Gaddis.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, it is weird, but it happens.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sorta reminds of that tale (possibly apocryphal (ha!)) of the guy who was up for the presidency of some nominally Episcopalian university.
    "Is he an Episcopalian!"
    "Yes, with leanings toward Christianity!"

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Sort of, is right. Those all read like myths to me, involving characters in stories. The life of Jesus in the Bible does not. He was a living, breathing man, who wasn't just a man, and it wasn't only because of the resurrection.

I suppose it could be just me, but...

Jesus's resurrection was predicted, stunningly accurately in Psalm 22 and in Isaiah 53 of the Bible, especially, before He was ever born, and His death and resurrection were anticipated and spoken of by Jesus himself in the New Testament. Moreover, the purpose of Jesus's passing was not simply for him to die and rise, just because he could. Those events, again, were for our benefit, to account for our sins and to give believers eternal life, even after our physical death. For some people, someday, it may even be manifested before they physically die, if they are taken up upon Christ's planned return to the world.

He himself lived a sinless life, and he is part of a triumvarate that is also unique. Although other resurrections may have occurred in history, Jesus's life, death and resurrection are incomparable.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The full story of Jesus is unique.

So are other religions.

But one’s right and the others are wrong - or they’re all wrong - and I guess we’ll see which is which one day.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

OK. I'll bite.
    How would Jesus react to a mass shooting? Would he:
    a) Comfort the victims; or
    b) Curse the victims and double down on the alleged necessity of unfettered access to guns?

I'm no theologian, but I don't recall that part in the gospels where Jesus, as he was about to be taken into custody by the Romans, pulled out an AK-47 and started gunning down the centurions.

What did Jesus say about man's obligation to the less fortunate? Did he:
    a) Presage Lou Reed's description of 1980s-Reagan America by saying, "Give me your hungry, your tired, your poor, I'll piss on 'em."
    or
    b) Deliver a moving testament to the power of benevolence?

What did Jesus say about the tax collector?
    a) Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's; or
    b) Gubmint can't take my money and then give any of it to the welfare queens?

What might Jesus have said about the issue of whether man has an obligation to his fellow man to be vaccinated in times of raging, communicable disease?
    a) Vaccination is a simple act of kindness and caring for one's fellow human; or
    b) My personal freedom is more important than anything else?

Please name me one issue on which Jesus would side with conservatives.

It's very telling to me that modern Trumpist Pseudo Christians are offended by the notion of loving Jesus. Their preferred version of their professed lord and savior is the angry, weapon-toting character in Revelation who has returned to Earth to exact vengeance.
    See the book "Jesus and John Wayne" for an interesting discussion of that one.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

tl;dr ... Jesus woulda been happy as a clam with guys with guns forcing people to employ "the power of benevolence." If you're skeptical
    about that that's because you're a Trumpist
    Pseudo Christian.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jesus probably would not have been happy with that. Some scholars feel that Jesus’ refusal to try to take power in ancient Israel was at the core of Judas’ decision to betray him for 30 pieces of sliver.

12. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I think the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod has a similar attitude. From Wikipedia: The WELS teaches that all forms of Christian fellowship require a complete unity in matters of doctrine (Romans 16:17, Ephesians 4:3-6).

My wife volunteers at a local food pantry. One of the other volunteers cheerfully told her recently that she was going to hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted