1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

As a whole, the bullpen has held up pretty well, even with Bautista out. Perez, Cano, Coulombe, Webb, Hall, even Irvin ... they've all been solid with very few exceptions.

Oh, and Mike "9-1" Baumann has made five appearances covering five innings in Norfolk -- allowing one hit.

But I still doubt it's sustainable for Hyde to be forced to go to his relievers in the fifth inning the rest of the way. They need the starters to go deeper, I believe.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Is Ohtani going to play again this year? Come on man, that's the only box score I even read nowadays. Pleeeeze....

3. jr/shotglass

He was scratched late last night, so it would seem like he's preparing to return.

4. jr/shotglass

Means goes through five and Baltimore's down 3-0. He made two mistake pitches that left the yard. But he still has that aura of a front-end starter. Loads of strikes and good counts. Very efficient.

Meanwhile, Adam Wainwright is escaping some jams.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I was fairly encouraged by Means' performance. The Cardinals' second run was the sort of lucky, blooper-induced bullshit that won't likely befall him in his next start.
    Tonight just wasn't the Birds' night. The Cards left soft-tossing National League starter Adam Wainwright in the game so he could finish five and be in line for his 199th career win. O's should have made them pay for their priorities.
    The good news is that the Rays lost, keeping the margin at three games.
    Take care of business tomorrow and ensure the lead is at least three heading into the weekend.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Cardinals have been trying to get him to 200 wins for about three months now, because he's been terrible and if they actually cared about winning they would have cut him in May

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"Yandy Diaz was removed from Tuesday's game in the fifth inning with a testicular contusion, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports."

So you're saying the count was two balls, one strike?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Scherzer left last night’s game with a triceps spasm and will undergo an MRI today, ESPN reports.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

At the moment of impact, three balls.

maumann likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just couldn't get the hits with RISP when needed. It happens. Shoutout to the Twins for the assist. Means was fine. He'll have something to build on for the next start. I'm worried that Flaherty is in line to pitch Friday night. Maybe the sellout crowd will get his head in the right space. He's an ornery competitor who will probably feed off of it. Or he may walk three straight and give up a grand slam like he did at Petco. -110 on either scenario.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

O’s Magic # for qualifying for the playoffs is 4.

They must be factoring in that some of the WC contenders have to play each other.

I don’t see exactly how the number is 4, because it’s not simply max wins left by the first team out of the current WC standings.

Edit: And just win the division and maybe best AL record.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Cancel the game and fade to somber piano music as far as I’m concerned.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted