1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. bueller

bueller Member

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My oldest did the Cooperstown tournament last summer and we stayed in Oneonta (closer to the facility his team played at). I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the town.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If Colorado has a return to its “she’s just a kicker” culture of 20 years ago or the Rapeiness of the McCartney Era, I’m fairly certain KCNC won’t be sending Romi Bean to go knock on doors to chase after Deion Sanders.

Bean strikes me as the best of all worlds. Was part-time and a Denver station hired her as weekend sports anchor. Then she moved into the top sports anchor role. I noticed an anchor from KUSA moved into KCNC without needing to sit out so, perhaps, that’s what his role will be — to not just be the cheerleader.

Also a different world and I recognize that. It’s the same over for cooking shows.

Curtis Stone is the Erin Andrews of cooking. Put him on and the middle-aged women just melt. Aussie accents are to women what fake boobs are to men.

Get an attractive man with an accent on a cooking show and he rises in that side of TV just as fast as the hot woman asking Coach two softballs at halftime.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sidebar: Is it weird that I find Alex Guarnaschelli attractive? I mean, Molly Yeh and Damaris Phillips are up there as well. Giada? Meh

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

7. MileHigh

The KUSA anchor wasn't getting renewed after 23 years so KUSA let him go straight to KCNC without having to sit in the penalty box.

8. exmediahack

I didn't know it was an "enlightened" move by KUSA or just a "meh, go right away, you won't move the needle" move. Sounds like the latter.

9. exmediahack

In the replies, she also got SUPER defensive to the one person who questioned why she's posing with someone she covers. In those cases, just let it go or give a non-answer answer.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    Fdufta and MileHigh like this.
  10. MileHigh

The latter, for sure.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

She doesn't understand the issue any more than the commenters who are defending her there.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Apologies for the threadjack, but I remember one of Stone's early shows, called "Take Home Chef", where he would approach regular people in the grocery store, offer to buy their groceries and go to their home and cook a world-class meal for them, plus family or friends.

I remember one or two where he approached a couple of young female roommates and made the offer. They accepted, and made it fairly clear that he was welcome to stay the night and do all kinds of cooking with them.

An attractive guy? Definitely. But once he opened his mouth and that accent came out? That probably sealed the deal with many straight men, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted