1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

WVU has a fucking monorail that Nixon built. STFU Gord.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It makes me laugh, the impeachment inquiry is happening even if there aren't enough votes in the R caucus to make it happen, because there ARE enough votes to call for McCarthy to vacate if the inquiry doesn't happen. Meanwhile, there is another debt limit vote due soon.

Webster likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's a classic congressional horse trade. McCarthy will let an impeachment inquiry go forward in exchange for Large Marge approving the budget or at least a CR.

Two caveats:

1. An impeachment inquiry is not an impeachment. Remains to be seen where there are enough R's to actually pull the trigger on the House floor. There are at least 2 no's on record (Buck and Bacon).

2. If Large and the Largettes renege, McCarthy can and will pull the rug out from under the impeachment effort (gladly).
    I can think of several other caveats but I will leave it there, Chuck.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don’t know anyone who thought the Iraq invasion was really just. It was the opposite with Afghanistan.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

McCarthy could have gone bipartisan with the Dems and castrated the House Loony Caucus, solved his problems. Denied the impeachment nonsense, passed a budget. It would have cost him the speaker's gavel, but he's inevitably going to lose that anyway. Instead, he's going forward, doing the Space Laser Lady's bidding and impeaching Biden for no crimes at all. That's going to get shot down, and then the R's are going to shut down the government or at least try to. That's going to cost them the House in '24 and McCarthy will lose the job anyhow.

Driftwood, HanSenSE and Webster like this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

But he cares about being speaker more than anything and likely can’t keep the job if he doesn’t start this process. He doesn’t care about the facts or the historical precedent, just the gavel.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It’s his golden calf.

Draft saved Draft deleted