1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’m sure Utah will now elect a maga trumplican. Another sane adult leaving the party.

I disagree with Romney on just about everything. But looking back I definitely regret a lot of the vitriol sent his way in 2012. He’d likely been Ok as president.

Will the party ever nominate someone like him again? It seems impossible.

wicked likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I don't even acknowdedge this filth

One the other day tried to get me going on 'fake news' - I didn't stop for a beat. He appeared momentarily stunned that no one would listen to his bullshit.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Even for Fatfuck, that's a vomitous pile of gibberish word salad.

Fred siegle and garrow like this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The candidate filing period in most states is still several months away. Even though Trump is obviously running for president, until he actually files to run for president, it will be hard for anyone or any entity to establish standing to challenge his candidacy. That's a big part of why the groups pursuing this line of reasoning worked hard to get cases heard challenging candidates in the 2022 mid-terms. It did two things: 1) Helped create a road map for how these challenges should proceed and 2) Started building a record - particularly the ones that reached an appellate court creating precedent - so that a challenge to Trump's candidacy is not relying entirely on case law from the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Once he has to start meeting filing deadlines, I think you'll see these challenges filed in dozens of states. I fully expect one here, where the challenge to Madison Cawthorn's candidacy helped create useful caselaw after a federal district court judge (who happens to have been one of my ConLaw professors) issued a bizarre ruling about the Amnesty Act of 1872 prospectively forgiving any future insurrectionists. The decision was reversed at the Fourth Circuit and then the case became moot when Cawthorn lost the primary. But it still gives good precedent to cut off that line of argument about the Amnesty Act.

I think a lot of these groups working on the 14th Amendment challenges would've already filed if they could. But they'll almost all start out either at a state or local elections board as a candidate eligibility challenge or some sort of state court action seeking declaratory relief - at which point the Trump campaign will likely try to move them to federal court, either through the removal process or by filing their own federal lawsuits. Because they'll initially arise under state law related to candidate challenges, there will be a ton of variance and in most places there's no way to start until the candidate files. I believe Nevada is the only state that has an open filing period at the moment. New Hampshire's filing period is next month.

If any of these challenges are successful - and I think some of them should be - it will create chaos in the 2024 election and the Supreme Court will almost certainly have to fast-track a 14th Amendment case.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Was just going to post. The Mitch stuff is withering.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On brief personal encounters with Romney, I can testify that there's a strong streak of DGAF inside his otherwise utterly conventional soul. He must really want to let that freak flag fly to let this stuff go public well before he leaves the Senate (Jan. 6, 2025). He wants his colleagues to know he thinks they suck.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted