1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. Some folks use Jude to disagree though.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Some folks can find a bible verse to justify anything.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Faith?

Or works?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll step in this debate only to say: My hunch is the gap might be explained as the difference in clergy who attended higher education institutions vs. congregants who did.

My point being: I think you'd see a similar gap in other denominations where it's quite common (universal?) for clergy to have attended college.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Your points contradict one another. "The gap is a function of clergy with college-plus education and congregants without such" cannot be squared with "You'd see a similar gap when clergy and congregants are of similar status higher education-wise."

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I meant - where the clergy had universally attended college. I wrote it poorly.

I was attempting to distinguish from, say, certain denominations where seminary training is slim and "I grew up in this and the spirit is moving" is fat.

9. doctorquant

Ah ... so noted.

10. doctorquant

Since this whole "my party is more Christ-like" circle-jerk discussion began, I've been pondering the folks who bombarded the Portland Congressperson's auto mechanics business with fake and very negative online reviews after she didn't support the President's student loan forgiveness initiative. Rather confusing such is. Surely He said somewhere that lying is OK if it hurts the right people.

11. doctorquant

Similarly ... how "Christ-like" is it to note that sometimes people cross picket lines out of desperation, which is too bad since the shame of being a scab will and should attach to them forever?

Azrael likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is the best example you could find? This is really bothering you, isn't it? Perhaps it is a matter of the truth hitting a little too close to home.

Draft saved Draft deleted