1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Back to major status at Cat 3 120 mph winds. It's jogging along at 8 p.m. Thank goodness it's staying away from land, or the devastation would be horrific.
    Strange storm. I'm so grateful this thing is where it is and seems to be going. I'd say if it reaches Canada, there will be rain, but it will have weakened in strength.

2. Driftwood

3. Driftwood

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

NOAA forecasts now calls for Lee-related wind and rain this weekend. Winds 30-40 mph, gusts to 70. Basically what we'd get with a bad nor'easter. I'll prep the deck on Thursday, which is supposed to be our only rain-free day this week. (Doesn't rain all the time, but we get showers). Take the herb garden off the railings and put it against the house walls. Turn the tables
    on their backs, remove cushions from sectional and put them in basement. Buy bread and milk (that's New England for storm related beer and whiskey). Charge electronics to the full.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Never hurts to err on the side of caution, right? :)

6. Driftwood

As of this morning, Lee is still a 3 but expected to lose major status and stay there. It's slowed down to 6 mph and has just now hit 25N, which is the tip of Florida. It's going to be a long slog up the east coast, thankfully many hundred miles off shore until about New Jersey. There will be some rip currents and beach erosion along the way. Cape Cod is right on the edge of the cone for Saturday with landfall as a TS right at the Maine/Canada border early Sunday.

7. Michael_ Gee

Forecast for the Cape for Saturday is now Tropical Storm Conditions Possible, which tracks.

8. Michael_ Gee

So now the forecast is Hurricane Conditions Possible, with, and this cracks me up, a 50 percent chance of showers. So it could be a disaster, but maybe it'll be nice. Anyway, it's gonna be a big storm and the people I know with boats are taking them out the water (it's almost time they would anyway). Boston local TV news would like to do hurricane freakout stories, but they can't because there's tornado warnings in the mainland past of southeastern Mass. Ordinarily, September is the nicest month for weather here, but not this year. Update: Storm with tornado is moving in the general direction of Gillette Stadium!

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

cat fud

oh please oh please

Vombatus and Slacker like this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So I heard a weather-caster say they other day that a location near me had a 50 percent chance of rain, then added, “which means 50 percent of that location can expect rain, while the other half will remain dry.”
    Is that how precip percentages work?

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

No. But I always say there’s a 50 percent of rain every day. It will or it won’t.

12. Michael_ Gee

Official Tropical Storm Warning for the Cape now. Just went to supermarket to stock up on tuna fish and black bean soup, the two canned foods that are our storm staples in winter. Got until Friday night to get ready. Will start stripping the back deck after lunch.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted