1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Kjerstad vs. lefties in Norfolk (107 AB sample): .290 avg, .828 OPS, 5 HR, 15 RBI, 24 K. Not terrible.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He’ll have no trouble clearing waivers.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this. The farm system has been rejuvenated under his watch and a lot of short term rentals have panned out. But the Trevor Story signing, Sale extension, and Mookie Betts trade (that especially) put him in a huge hole with fans.

Firing him at least seems to show that John Henry is listening. They have a good core and some great young players. Bloom deserves a lotta credit for that.

Liut likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The one positive for the Sox this season was Bello's development as a starter. Because otherwise their pitching staff is, to be kind, weak. Pitching's hard to find and always has been. Bloom, however, seemed to think he could find competent pitchers for cheap. He couldn't, because nobody can.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Casas might win AL Rookie of the Year. He's been a huge positive. Turner has been a great add. Durran was killing it until mental health and toe issues. Paxton was great....for a while lol.

Their bullpen has been pretty damn good (except for Jansen of late). I don't know, they had the perfect mix of tantalizing talent and surges that just kept me interested. I never once checked out on them this year. Now, if they lose another doubleheader to the Yankees today....

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They looked like an 80-85 win team when the season started and that hasn't changed. Casas has been very good since the end of June, but in a way he's a problem because he prevents them from moving Devers from third where his fielding has regressed quite noticeably. My golf partners are all big Sox fans. They haven't even mustered the energy to bitch about the team since the All-Star break. Significantly, the only Red Sox to my knowledge to have a bunch of local TV ads is David Ortiz. The current Sox aren't so much the subject of boos as of shrugs. They've been quietly forgotten. As it was in the pre-Pedro '90s, the star of the franchise is Fenway Park, a stadium that actually puts asses in its own seats.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Did.

If the Cards played the way they did for the past nine games all season, they’d be at or near the top of the NL. But they didn’t, and there better be big changes coming.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That was the proper tax for Dave Roberts and 4 World Series titles that followed.

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Except for Tampa.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Actually the best possible outcome for Baltimore. Mountcastle won't miss time, and they're still calling up Kjerstad.

Oh, and Cedric Mullins just laid out in right-center to snag a deep liner.

And, y'know, Ryan O'Hearn's come one hell of a long way from being considered a spare part in April. 425 to right, 1-0 O's.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Casas? Rookie of the Year? Naw.

Draft saved Draft deleted