1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Best of luck to all in the affected area. Stay safe.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Go out and play golf and, depending on the direction, add 100 yards to your drives.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll play tomorrow morning pre-storm. Years ago, I, my son and a friend of his played in tropical stormish winds from a storm further offshore. Josh is a big hitter, and he couldn't reach a 150-yard par three into the wind with a three wood. Then, on a hole with the wind, he hit an 8-iron from like 140 yards and sailed over the green and across the fairway of an adjacent hole behind it. It was wild, and kind of fun, but then the rain came, so we quit after five holes.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That is so on-brand for the New England coast. Forget the milk and bread.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don’t see TP.

Might still be whittling down the COVID stash though.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fill the gas tank and grab a couple hundred dollars in cash, as well. If the power goes out, so do the gas pumps and the card readers.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, did that too. I don't want to jinx us here, but the forecast is that it'll be a strong storm when it hits but that it'll move away reasonably quickly. Maybe like 8-10 hours of 50 mph plus gusts, then by Saturday evening it should be just breezy. So if we do lose power (hope not!), barring some form of extreme damage it ought to be back by midday Sunday.

CD Boogie, Neutral Corner and Batman like this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind riding out a mild hurricane/tropical storm in chez Gee at Cape Cod. The two things I would worry about are: 1) that whole "mild" thing becoming, in a word from the early 1970s, "inoperative"; and 2) getting my ass run off because I'm making too big a dent in the wine inventory.

Take care and all the best.

Michael_ Gee and maumann like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just me, but I would take the afternoon of close approach to go sightseeing west of Buzzards Bay.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He will only be eligible for the postseason if he replaces an injured tropical storm because he was not on NOAA's 40-storm roster on Aug. 31.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Perhaps the hurricane will channel a late, great musician and say, "Don't want to land on no Buzzard's Bay."

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I use an app called Windy. According to it, the center of the storm should be due east of Cape Cod at 7 a.m. tomorrow with winds in the mid 40mph range.

Lee's sustained wind speeds have dropped to 85 mph as of this morning, so he won't be a hurricane very much longer. It's movement speed has picked back up to 16 mph, so it's finally moving along.

Draft saved Draft deleted