1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Bunt!

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That was why you make those baselines nice and high.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Rays are gonna sweep. The division race is over. They're the better team.

2muchcoffeeman and FileNotFound like this.
  4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’d love to believe that. Still some road ahead, though.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

JC likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Nobody can tell me they have a better lineup, 1 through 9.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

C'mon man.

8. tapintoamerica

Maybe not. But the bullpen is working on a 34-inning scoreless streak.

9. tapintoamerica

I’ll tell ya what. If I’m wrong about the sweep part, I will make a charitable gift to an organization we deem mutually agreeable. It will be in the amount of the winning pitcher or author of the big hit. Whichever is higher.
    I will be happy to pay up. And I am serious.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No need for that. But the pessimism is ridiculous. They lost one game 4-3, haven't been swept in 86-some odd series and you believe that all of a sudden Tampa is leaps and bounds better and will win four in a row in Baltimore? To quote Kramer, that's kooky talk.

11. tapintoamerica

We shall see.
    At any rate, this is a playoff team, and that’s far better than I anticipated. This team is ahead of schedule and has been a source of great joy.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Angels owner Arte Moreno nickel and diming til the end. The team recalled vets David Fletcher and Jarred Walsh, who are on the 40-man, to cut overall payroll in an effort to avoid the luxury tax. It makes good business sense, but is a cheap and bad look. Plus the two kids he is screwing out of MLB pay aren't likely to forget at arbitration/free agent time, if they make it.

From the OCR:
    The two roster moves also slightly reduce the Angels’ payroll, which could be significant depending on how close they finish to the luxury tax threshold of $233 million. Walsh and Fletcher have guaranteed contracts, so their salaries were already included in the major league payroll even when they were in the minors. But now Adams and Paris are no longer receiving their major league salaries. The Angels still count their Triple-A salaries as long as they remain on the 40-man roster, but the difference is about $3,200 per player, per day.

If the Angels finish the season with Fletcher and Walsh instead of other minimum-salary players, it would knock about $116,000 off the total payroll.

Draft saved Draft deleted