1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

How disappointed will she be when Deion leaves in a year or two and her boss demands that she text him (like she doesn’t have his number) to break the story and Deion tells her nothing?

Because that’s what’s going to happen.

Just getting used under the addiction of being near something interesting.

I’m more irked at the former boss who hired her. He was a respected news director in Denver (now the GM?) and this is exactly what he sowed.

So many male news directors I worked with tried to make the “I’m gonna make her a star!” hire for a weekend sports anchor job. People with news judgment I usually considered sound.

Nope. Couldn’t bring in the other 160 applicants, male or female, busting their tales in Redding or Casper.

It almost always failed miserably. Some couldn’t do the highlights (back when that mattered). Some didn’t want to shoot video. Some were too busy having sex with the athletes they were covering. Too many were being fans instead of serving the viewer.

Get off my lawn, bitches.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

You think some local TV boss is gonna be mad when his station doesnt break a Sanders story? In 2023?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. And yes, he's the GM now and well respected. I expect this stuff from another ND in town who is a complete clown show and has seen tons of on-air talent -- even those he hired -- go through the turnstile and high-tail it out of there at a very high rate.

2muchcoffeeman and Roscablo like this.
  4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

She is such an interesting (or maybe not case). She actually got semi-famous around here for wearing one of those blow-up T-rex costumes as a Broncos cheerleader during a Halloween game like 11 or 12 years ago. That alone probably got her the TV job. But I always thought she did OK with it as sort of a secondary act. People loved her quirkiness I would say and in that way, she kind of crossed over from sports.

When she got the main job I sort of did a doubletake, but I honestly thought she had done a pretty decent job despite some of the social media nonsense, which usually promoted that quirkiness.

And now here we are. I bet she thinks all this falls into line of that quirkiness but it is just a crazy lovefest with Sanders. It is over the top whether sports or not. I think someone posted about it, but when do people start assuming it crosses the line in other ways? And how in the world does she cover it when something gets tough with the program? What if Sanders has a Mel Tucker moment? How in the world does she cover it? Even on TV?

The comments on that tweet mostly gush about how awesome and lucky she is but there have been a few that didn't necessarily call her out for the inappropriateness but how will she do the job if it does get tough. And she has blown it off like it will never happen. Something always happens in this line of work.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. exmediahack

In a 4-TV newsroom like Denver, I do. I consider Denver one of the last really strong local TV news markets left.

Especially when one of your on-air people is doing everything but hugging him on social media.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

She's a complete idiot. Unless she does the 2 Legit 2 Quit dance w/Sanders on the pregame show. Then she's a superstar.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

God forbid she wind up in a market with two equally devoted fan bases. “I’ll just go all in on the Yankees and the Mets fans probably won’t mind.”

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

When was the last time a local tv station broke a story of national import? If that’s a priority for a news director he may be living in 1987.

9. exmediahack

While not necessarily equal, Colorado and Colorado State are in the same market -- and, for much of the last decade, their money programs haven't been that far apart.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. exmediahack

There are a small handful of Power 5 programs that are prominent in "good TV newsroom markets". Colorado, Washington, Minnesota, Arizona State -- where the programs will be under scrutiny from actual journalists. I've long believed it's why these programs often wind up in investigations -- from reporters or the NCAA.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    I Should Coco and MileHigh like this.
  11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Has anyone checked on BuffaCheer today? She may still be writhing on the field in celebration.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    Liut likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A visual none of us needed, thankyouverymuch.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted