1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Mar 6, 2022.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

So if WT ends after two seasons, it’ll end in 1984 finals we think?

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think Pearlman said that when he was pimping the show, that it can't end there.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The show comes across as something of an actual soap opera, not just a show depicting a figurative soap opera. When all the factual flaws, the hamming it for the camera, the overused directing flourishes are pointed out, the show seems a lot less than all its parts.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obviously the production team is assuming that's the end of the series, with the post credits montage.

Hell, they've barely scratched the surface of the real drama: the Lakers rebound to win in 1985, the Celtics strike back in 86, then you have the Sweet Repeat in 87-88, and the Quest to Threepeat in 89 against the new villains the Bad Boys.

We'll see if it ever happens.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What a kick in the dick. Damn.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

But they’ll keep Bill Maher

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

That really was a bummer. They didn't even get the 10 episodes they got last year.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Terrible place to end it. But yeah, the montage gave the cancellation away without actually giving it away.

But IIRC there wasn't nearly as much "drama" in the succeeding years. Sure, winning in Boston was fun. But personnel stayed mostly the same. Riley was a constant (instead of three coaches in 2 years). Don't remember if there was any more Buss turmoil (romantic or financial).

Really enjoyed this.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So are you completely shutting the door on making more seasons somewhere else?
    I think the plan is this: If the universe wants more Lakers, the universe knows where to reach us.

I don't know how much it cost to do a full season or even just the number of episodes for season two, but if it's not something totally outrageous some streaming service is going to let them to at least one full last season to tie everything up like they want.

You could could two seasons worth for every episode and a half / wrap it at Magic with HIV in 10, I would think

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Watching it in real time, with the rumors they were gonna cancel it -- right near the end, near the end of the pivotal 1984 Game 7 -- they have
    Adrien Brody as Pat Riley, in a timeout, delivering the line intently to the players, and the camera: "We have unfinished business."

I would have ended the series right then, Sopranos-style, right in the middle of the word "business."

Cut to black. The end.

Draft saved Draft deleted