1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

She was bursting out of her Broncos cheerleader outfit on the near-comeback.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

She's always seemed like an OMG lass.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I counted at least four Denver media personalities who were not just pro-CU but very anti-CSU on the socials last night. It is fine, I brought it up before that has always been the case around here. None were CU beat people, so I guess it is OK? One was an Athletic writer, one works for the Fan radio station (which I'm not even sure counts as media), one works for a fairly popular local sports website, and the other was another TV personality.

So here's the thing, they are all Denver-based and all cover other Denver sports or are general assignment. They all likely have CSU fans, who you know, like other Denver and Colorado sports, that follow them and I would think to an extent that would matter a little, but apparently not. Would this happen anywhere else? How is it in Alabama or where things are much more rabid? Maybe Kansas or Mississippi are good comparisons? Oklahoma? Iowa? Oregon and Washington? It has always been so odd to me here. There are likely just as many CSU supporters around here as CU, although CU gets the more casual fan when they are good or something like a Deion Sanders rolls around. They are the "P5" and closer to Denver after all. It still strikes me as odd.

The Denver Post did a pretty nice job with its CSU coverage this week, and some TV people try, but it is amazing how lopsided it is.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    Liut likes this.
  4. MileHigh

Agree with you, the Sanders effect is having a Romi Bean effect on "media" here.

Just because CSU is in Fort Collins, to blow them off is pretty bad because there is a huge alumni base here.

The Fan is pro-CU/Sanders without a doubt and does not constitute real sports journalism. There's really only one sports radio personality around here that still can hold court with accountability and gravitas and respect -- and he's hard to find.

TV personalities around here run like Romi Bean, but that's always been the case.

I read the Post sports section online if something catches my eye -- which is very rare.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The real problem with homers in the press box and cheerleading media types like Ms. Bean is that the public conflates us all.

In the same way plagiarizers and fabricators and swagtakers make us all look bad.

My job over the years has been made a lot harder by the bad conduct of others.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yup. A local TV station mixed up two car accident photos with links to each other's stories on Facebook yesterday. That's it ... photos were put in the wrong place. A simple mistake with a quick fix that can happen. My guess is since it was a Sunday morning, it was all scheduled posts from Saturday night, so it had not been caught yet after being up for 30 minutes or so.
    Almost all the posts were people screaming about the LYING MEDIA and why they can't be trusted! *sigh*

garrow likes this.
  7. MileHigh

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

There are some really dumb fucking people in this country. $67 for a pair of sunglasses? Fucking idiots.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  9. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact that CU is Power 5/Pac-12 while CSU is "just" in the Mountain West. Very much a big brother-little brother thing. I can't think of a ton of other examples, but one that comes to mind for me would be Nebraska and Creighton coverage in the Omaha paper. I'd imagine it's similarly lopsided.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Liut, garrow and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

$67 for THOSE sunglasses is crazy, because they look like something Max Headroom would wear after stopping at a country Exxon for Mountain Dew, Funyuns and a dusty box of rubbers.

Liut, Batman, garrow and 2 others like this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The price reflects what the market will bear. And there are a lot of people going crazy over this entire narrative. And you have a rather huge school enjoying football prominence for the first time in quite awhile.

SixToe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted