1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Have early work travel today so I had to tap out once they fell behind 5-3. Pleasantly surprised to see that result upon waking up this morning.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Happy to hear Aaron Hicks just had cramping last night. The reactions looked like it might be something worse.

And I just can't get over how Ryan O'Hearn hit reset on his career in the last five months. 5-for-5 last night, bringing his average to .309. Every time they need it, he's come up big.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This seems really unfair to Votto who IMO is a real HOFer even though he's not Cabrera.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't believe I had never watched this before. It's random, but worth a few minutes.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Flaherty is in the bullpen tonight just in case.

O’s could eye him as long relief in October.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ryan O'Hearn is now 7-7 in the Houston series. Austin Hays just rocked a three-run homer. Goddamn this team is fun.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I want to explore the Rays stadium deal a little bit, at least partially because I’m still confused that it actually happened.

First, some details:

That last bit is huge. Like a lot of Florida jurisdictions, Pinellsas County has a tourist development tax (essentially, a hotel room tax or bed tax) at 6 percent on each accommodation rented for six months or less. So does Hillsborough County (Tampa), but Pinellas County brings in a lot more money. A big chunk of the public share of the new stadium is going to come from that, and for the almost-entire part local folks don’t pay that. A 30K-seat stadium is just about right, I think, for a team that makes most of its money from TV. Plus the Rays get "ancillary development rights,” which is what the Braves got when they fled to the northern Atlanta Suburbs.

Kudos to Bob Buckhorn and Jane Castor, mayors of Tampa who didn’t sell the farm to get a deal made in their city. And former St. Pete mayor Bill Foster deserves some congratulations as well, for not allowing the team to break the deal early. Apparently some people thought that wouldn’t work out either? Weird.

Oh, and you know who else is happy for the Rays? The Bucs.

Their stadium deal expires after the 2028 season.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also, USF is getting ready to build its own stadium. And there’s always a spring training stadium somewhere that “needs” replacing.

10. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I love this, because i know the feeling. I had to give a speech to our volleyball club members, parents and alumni after our founder (a great man named Mario Caruso) died and we were having a reunion celebrating everything he did for so many people. I got about 2 minutes into my speech and started bawling. This so much reminded me of that day, and I’m crying again now thinking about it.
    Anyone who knew Mario could tell you a story about something, or many things, nice he did for them. He had a heart of gold. He also had 5 or 6 other organizations that he was involved with that would say the same, his high school alumni group, his church, people who rented from him. I could go on and on. He was also a barber and gave many free haircuts, including his entire team at nationals one year.
    A great, great man who only saw, and brought out, the best in everyone.
    Thanks to anyone who read this.

outofplace and maumann like this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Suicide squeeze just executed, and McCann safe at first. Wow.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted