1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Where is Spaghetti Sauce Man?

Driftwood likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hasn't posted since July 6.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

As in "If those Philistines do to a Shelby what they did to that poor defenseless 356.". Actually, that's an overstatement. I can deal with restomods of all sorts. That Electric XKE gave me a woody. Or maybe that was Meghan, I'm not entirely certain.

If it's a new built car, whether they use styling cues from a Mustang or not, I don't care. There simply are not enough real Shelbys to make that ok for me. Build it from reproduction sheetmetal and a modern chassis and I don't care.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One problem with those retrofits, they usually run about $100k.

5. Neutral Corner

If you watch a Youtube from someone who does those builds right, you come to understand why they're so damn expensive. It can take hundreds of hours to do sheet metal repairs and bodywork just to get an old car ready for paint. The parts you need are often either old dead inventory of twenty plus year old parts (read $$$$$) or new reproduction parts that often don't look or fit right, or that break for no reason. Trim pieces, you're trying to take them off without breaking them, then you have to straighten and recondition and polish them and reinstall without messing them up. If the people doing the work are doing it right, not halfassing and covering stuff up, a build takes just tons of time, and the per hour cost of guys who know how to and are willing to do things right is a long way from cheap.

Check this out. I follow this girl on Youtube. She's a far better skilled and trained car tech than I'll ever be. She's an ex-Air Force airplane mechanic. She's anal as hell about things being done *right*, down to the very small details. She found a '74 Toyota Celica in amazing shape, tore it down and installed a V-8 engine out of a Toyota truck that her dad owned, wrecked, and kept. Lots of custom work, lots of new/better/improved parts in the suspension and engine. Lots of original JDM parts replaced, sourced from Japan and crazy expensive. She's really picky, but the work she puts out is done properly without any shortcuts. She's goofy and cute as a bug and one hell of an auto technician. Ten minutes of this will give you a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    Azrael and Twirling Time like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's why this electric, sort-of-Shelby (!) costs +/- $400000.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/gone-60kwh-driving-electric-eleanor-mustang#1

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I acquired my classic 'stang a few years ago and was looking into various projects I might take on, I came across this video series of a conversion. These guys in Austin don't fuck around. For the conversion I followed, they fabricated custom batteries.

Azrael and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Yes and no. That car is fresh production,a repro body shell almost certainly on a modern chassis designed for four electric motors and the battery. No one is having to restore anything. It's just a high end modern custom car that looks like Eleanor, custom built for rich guys. I'm sure it's a blast to drive and the looks are classic, but it's a different animal from a resto-rod.

Azrael likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think they tried to source an original and couldn't find one in sufficiently good shape. (Full disclosure, I was never a fan of the Eleanor variant from the movie.)

The Alfa I mentioned is about 10% original according to the story.

Always interesting to me, this: if you replace every part on a car - especially in light of the restomod programming on Motor Trend TV - is it the same car?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

wow

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When these are done correctly and well, excellent.

Now ... can we get people to stop trying to restore Zs by replacing the Nissan straight six with a small-block Chevy V-8? I mean, if you wish to use the straight-six, add fuel injection and upgrade the manual to a five-speed - both of which Datsun/Nissan later did starting with the 280Z – that's one thing. And, where applicable, installing disc brakes, which are big upgrades over drums, some suspension upgrades, etc. But too much cross-pollination is crap.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted