1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Just saw a replay. Think that was more of a safety squeeze.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nothing happening in San Diego.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Snell can’t finish this.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

We're going to be living in a world where Blake Snell is a two-time Cy Young winner.

A guy who outside of those two seasons, will have six other seasons in his career where four have losing records, one has seven wins and the other is a COVID-shortened 4-2 campaign.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not this season. Spencer Strider says hello.

8. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

The Baltimore Sun, I think, had a feature on him earlier in the season, and the hitting coaches said they noticed a very simple mechanical flaw in his swing with the Royals. They had it fixed relatively quickly.
    Which raises the question of what the Royals hitting coaches were seeing, and why they couldn't fix anything over four abysmal seasons.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's been 43 years since Baltimore won 100 games. Orioles have 95 wins after last night, and after today's matinee in Houston, they finish with three below-.500 teams -- Cleveland, Washington, Boston. Getting to 100 almost feels inevitable. Never in my wildest dreams did I think a turnaround of this magnitude this quickly could happen. They were 52-110 just two years ago!

Vombatus and FileNotFound like this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Strider's ERA is 3.73. Snell's ERA is 2.33. That is a huge gap in Snell's favor. I know the peripherals favor Strider. He has the insane strikeout rate and he doesn't walk nearly as many batters, but the job is to prevent the other team is scoring and Snell has done that better this season.

By the way, Strider only has two more innings pitched, though Snell has one more start after last night's seven-inning gem. (I'm aware it was against the Rockies away from Coors, which certainly helps any pitcher, but it still counts.)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Cy Young Award is replete with one-hit wonders, now we'll get a two-hit wonder.

Pat Hentgen, LaMarr Hoyt, Bob Turley, Pete Vukuvich, Steve Stone, Vern Law, RA Dickey, Mark Daviss, John Denny, Randy Jones, Rick Porcello all won Cy Youngs. Decent MLB pitchers but their Cy Young year was the outlier.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guardians sweep the Rangers, then start playing out the string in KC. Sheeeeeeesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted