1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild night for Alabama preps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2023.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Now you can drive 30 minutes north and you might as well be in Idaho.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Makes sense … hopefully I am wrong to think it was a racial thing.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When I worked for the Bugtussle Bugle, we had a sponsored Athlete of the Week thing. The winner got a freshly printed 8 x 11 certificate recognizing them as Athlete of the Week.

(Unless our laser printer was running out of ink.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    UNCGrad and HanSenSE like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Especially if you take the Lake Tahoe bypass.

maumann likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Band directors midsong become the world’s most obstinate people. In high school, we had a director who had the PA system and the officials screaming at him to stop.

That man was going to get through that version of “Pretty Fly for a White Guy” come hell or high water.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Memphis proved that the only color that matters once you're a cop is blue. The race of the cop is irrelevant.

PaperDoll and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

A few things I'd like to know about the band thing.
    1) Did the police ask him to stop or order him, or both? If asked, you can decline. Then they order you. If you don't follow lawful orders, then you get in trouble.
    2) Is clearing the stadium quickly a regular thing, and was that info shared with the schools before the game?
    3) I'd like to see the body cam footage.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I talked to a local high school band director last night. He has not heard any details other than was what reported, and no one he has talked to has either, so no help there.

There have been incidents after football games where fights broke out or shots were fired. These generally happen because fans of the winning team are talking shit after the game, or because a losing fan is angry. They clear the stadiums quickly as a way to disperse the crowd and attempt to prevent these from happening. It's not unusual, and I would expect a local band director (and both were) to know it, same as he knows not to have his band playing when the opposing team goes to the line to begin a play.

I have not heard anything about bodycam video existing. It is possible that there is some that eventually surfaces, especially if reporters FOIA it. It's also possible that the police involved were off duty, working security for extra money. If so, they may not have been wearing a cam.

Article here includes some video. The Facebook at bottom links to the BPD statement on the incident.

https://1819news.com/news/item/watch-birmingham-pd-tases-minor-highs-football-band-director

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  9. dixiehack

Video is clear as mud. Also I find it hilarious we can embed a Vine but not TikTok.

Big Chief on TikTok

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What I don't see in that video is the band director pushing a cop before he got tased. Might have been cut off, might not have been there.

11. dixiehack

AHSAA: Gift cards for food now OK because reasons.

https://www.al.com/sports/2023/09/a...-football-forfeit-adjusts-gift-card-rule.html

They are just blatantly making shit up as they go now.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Here's my question: is this going to compromise their NCAA eligibility, because this isn't NIL

The top players in the state need to sue -- why can't they get gift cards to wherever they want? Why am only allowed to get rewarded with a Chik-fil-A when the local Apple store want to give me a new phone?

Draft saved Draft deleted