1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Cat fud, yo.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Magic number = 7.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't know the ins and outs of Steiner vs. John Sterling in New York, but I know us Yankees fans seriously lost that battle, with Charley departing after just a few years in the Yankees' booth in the early aughts and Suzyn moving up out of the clubhouse and into the booth. Charley was (is) so good. Sterling is a future Frick HOFer just for sheer longevity, notwithstanding his utter ineptitude for the last 20 years or so, but Charley is actually a competent and enjoyable listen.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I've heard that Steiner is good, but he was terrible for the Yankees. IDK if it's because he hated Sterling or was mailing it in or what, but I remember being shocked at how bad he was.
    For at least 40 years the Mets have consistently had top notch announcers while the Yankees have had varying degrees of not. I rarely have been jealous of my Mets fan friends for their team or leadership (this year is an exception), but I have always envied their broadcasters.

Fred siegle and matt_garth like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Phil Rizzuto. But he was Scully compared to who has been at the mic since.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Today's Immaculate Grid got me thinking about the 3K strikeout mark and how that might be as tough to achieve here as 300 wins going forward thanks to all of the bullpen specialization. Here are the ones on the doorstep:

Probable
    Zack Greinke (age 39) 2972
    Clayton Kershaw (35) 2934

And some further down the list...
    Nope
    Adam Wainwright (41) 2202, retiring at the end of the year
    Chris Sale (34) 2180, no way he stays healthy enough to threaten it
    Jacob deGrom (35) 1652, see above

Maybe?
    Gerrit Cole (32) 2138

That's all I can find.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Greinke's not going to get there. He's been terrible this year and he of all people doesn't care about stuff like that. I assume he's going to retire since he's a free agent

Cosmo likes this.
  8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Speaking as a Midwesterner, I concur. Mets radio is top notch, the best of the East Coast teams by a wide margin. Howie Rose is fantastic. Mets TV is also very good. They might have the best combination of both.

They are one of just a few radio broadcasts that are worth listening to whether you're a fan or not. I'd put the Mets, Blue Jays, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants in that rarefied air, and of course, the Brewers too. Twins aren't bad either.

Reds and Padres used to be in this group, but they fell off with the retirement of long-time voices. I would put Cleveland's Tom Hamilton in there, who is generally pretty good when normal stuff is happening, but his cartoonish over-excitement docks him a notch for annoyance.

Then there's some clubs that are inexplicably terrible, like the Yankees, who are unlistenable dreck.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

As Guy noted, Steiner & Sterling HATED each other. Sterling is the Al Michaels of the Yankees booth: He doesn't work well with anyone b/c it's his territory and don't you forget it. Don't be deluded by the Ma & Pa Pinstripes schtick, Suzyn & Sterling have little use for one another outside the booth. I always liked Steiner here, but that may have been as much my annoyance with Sterling and my fond memories of Steiner on ESPN as anything he did in the booth. He's A-OK in my book for having the dumb luck of being in the booth and calling Aaron Boone's walk-off in 2003. That pissed off Sterling to no end so of course he barged in there to yell his trademark phrase, which Steiner said along with him. Thus, Steiner rules.

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Another Cubs collapse.

This season was maddening at first, then ecstatic, now demoralizing to finish. They are so gassed.

I'll be rooting for the Orioles or Rays to win it all.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Follow me to freedom!

game, set, match

Draft saved Draft deleted