1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild night for Alabama preps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nick Saban hits one dry season and the entire sport is thrown into chaos in this state.

Anniston’s homecoming game is called off after “multiple fights” and a shootout injured a student earlier this week. Anniston says their opponent forfeited. Elsewhere White Plains is claiming the game will be played at a future date.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports...ame-canceled-in-wake-of-tuesday-shooting.html

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Game I was covering tonight was called halfway through the third quarter because of a fight between the teams. The score was 35-0 and there was a running clock since late in the second quarter, so the visiting coach (who had the zero) did the smart thing and pulled the plug. He was worried his guys were going to act dumb and make things worse (the fight started when one of his guys did a vicious facemask pull at the end of an interception return), so he told the refs to call the game.

While I was talking to the home team coach afterward, a bunch of fans started running from one end of the bleachers to the other. Somebody said someone was shooting. I was standing at the 50-yard line the whole time and never heard anything like that. Turns out there were two fights outside the stadium, and one student was arrested. His bad luck that he also had some weed on him. Someone told me someone was tazed — not by the cops, but by another person involved in the fight — but we haven't been able to confirm that. The fight on the field and the fight outside the stadium were not related, near as we can tell.
    Considering other incidents that have been happening around the country, I'm very thankful it wasn't anything more.
    Hell of a homecoming game.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Similar situation in Milwaukee.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"My 2A rights supercede your 2A high school football game."

The world is getting dumber with every day. And most of these guys are candy-ass wanna-be tough guys who disappear as soon as they flash the barrel. A few punks spoiling things for everybody because we're conditioned to expect the bullets to fly.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that, in a lot of these places, the people pulling guns and pulling the trigger are not card-carrying NRA members or applying for CCW permits.

maumann likes this.
  9. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Does that matter?

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

No, they're just dickheads with guns, the sort we read about every day anymore.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

https://www.al.com/opinion/2023/09/...en-fighting-each-other-failing-our-youth.html

12. Neutral Corner

That's very good, Dixie. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted