1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

People cook cornbread in something other than a cast iron skillet? No wonder folks are griping.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The laws of physics ceased to exist for that one guy’s stove, though.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Cook real grits, not quick grits. Salt hell out of the water on the front end, because if you don't you basically can't put enough salt in them later to make them taste right.

It's just corn porridge, poor people food. It's like anything else, a lot depends on whether you grew up eating them or not.

justgladtobehere and Driftwood like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You don’t want to know all the horrors Baby Boomer mothers of the Upper Midwest have unleashed upon our tastebuds.

5. Neutral Corner

My father's mother made tremendous cornbread. She cooked a half inch, maybe a touch more, of batter in a cast iron skillet. It came out crispy on both sides. I've never had the like since she passed. So damn good. It was probably cooked with bacon grease instead of oil, knowing her.

She was a little bitty bird of a woman. If we ate at her house, she'd fuss over everything till it was just right. She'd sit down and we'd say grace, and as soon as "amen" was out she was back out of her seat trying to serve gravy or put another stick of butter out. Maybe she'd eat a bit after dinner was over. You couldn't keep her in her seat.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

If Ragu ever reads this train wreck of an Economy thread he's gonna have a stroke.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Every time I've had cornbread or biscuits, it feels like I'm chewing on a sponge. It just sucks every bit of moisture out of my mouth. You can put a bottle of syrup on a biscuit and it still is that way.
    I've tried them in restaurants and homemade of all stripes. Never had one that makes me go, "Yes! This is what I've been missing!"

I've lived in the south for almost 30 years and I've never taken a liking to Southern food. Love, love, love the spicy Louisiana dishes like jambalaya, beans and rice, gumbo and etouffee. When someone rolls out a plate of fried chicken, biscuits and cornbread, though, I'll be polite but be thinking of where I can stop on the way home for something else to eat.

8. Neutral Corner

Ever had Memphis Fried Chicken? Might be worth your time...

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fried chicken isn't the worst thing ever. It's usually just a little too greasy for me the way most people make it. I'd rather have something else if it's an option.
    I don't mind fried chicken tenders, especially good ones like Raising Cane's.

10. Neutral Corner

Memphis Fried Chicken is the hot and spicy version. Might be more up your alley if you can get the real thing.

Batman likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Cheddar Bay Biscuits?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I could do unspeakable things if I had a plate of biscuits from Granny Norris right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted