1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I always get it wrong, but I think that would qualify as irony.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Isn't that increase (at least partly) a consequence of the increased value of your home since the last assessment?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why do we keep thinking that?

The number and percentage of age 65+ voters grows every year. Boomers will still be turning 65 through the end of this decade. How can the youngs keep up with them, since our birth rate is not even high enough to sustain the population?

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-r...ace-and-ethnicity-age-education-and-religion/

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 8.53.09 AM.png

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Irony is the opposite of what you’d expect; a peanut farmer in hospice dying of a late onset peanut allergy is just sick coincidence. But yeah irony has kind of evolved in its definition to be understood to mean sick coincidence, and everyone seems to understand it as such.

6. BTExpress

Much of it, yes. But shouldn't millage rates be adjusted to account for this? I mean, the REASON for property taxes is to pay for services. The cost of "services" has no direct relation to the real estate market.

L.A. County real estate prices are three times higher than my county. But their effective property tax rates are much smaller.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How's your state / county / city income tax?

How's your state / county / city sales tax?

8. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Somewhere, Alanis Morrissette smiles quietly.

franticscribe and CD Boogie like this.
  9. BTExpress

You got me there. 0% and 7%.
    Property taxes wouldn't be so onerous, if our insurance rates weren't the nation's worst.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You can live dirt cheap in the Mississippi Delta but there’s a reason for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted