1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You read that in the New York Times?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    wicked and HanSenSE like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

/snicker Riiiiiight.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Lord know that I won't agree with Bill Kristol often, but that's one helluva well written column.

"Strive to resist numbness. Because despite all the blather about Biden and Trump being the two most known “known quantities” in politics, we actually don’t know how dangerous and destabilizing Trump might prove to be as his mind bends under the strain of an election and four indictments. Or whether it’ll break entirely once he’s back in power and surrounded by the most obsequious fascist toadies he can find."

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    wicked, HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That is thanks to Proposition 13. What a life-saver that was in California.

In N.Y., it's common for people to have to work into their late 70s and 80s just to pay their property taxes each year.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

No need for reticence. He didn't write that. :)

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Florida has a Save Our Homes provision, where the assessed value cannot increase by more than 3% or the change in the CPI, whichever is less.

But that only applies to homesteaded property. A newcomer to the state has to pay the full valuation, THEN get homesteaded, and then they're protected from future sticker shock.

When I moved back here in July 2021, I paid the former owner's homesteaded taxes ($3,024). Then in 2022 that homestead protection disappeared and I paid full value taxes ($4,400). Now I'm homesteaded, and mine can't go up too much. I believe 2023 tax will be, at worst, $4,650. They always send out a proposal in August with two figures, one "if proposed additional taxes are not approved," and another "if proposed additional taxes are approved." Amazingly, the proposed additional taxes are always approved.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When you've lost your seat mate ...
    upload_2023-9-26_9-2-30.png

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted