1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ahsoka (2023)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 21, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I missed this earlier. Of course, we know now that it wasn't Mara Jade. I actually like that none of the theories about the Inquisitor were correct. Of course, if you didn't watch the animated shows, you have no idea what was going on there. That was a dead warrior re-animated by Nightsister magic, specifically Morgan Elsbeth. It is characterized by the green smoke that leaked out after Ahsoka defeated Marrok.

I read many of the books and would love to see them work Mara Jade into the story even if it wouldn't really work to have her end up with Luke given what we saw in the sequels.

2. outofplace

I haven't quite finished the new episode, but it is the first time this truly felt like a show about Ahsoka Tano. It is still steeped in the lore of Rebels, but it really digs into her character. The episode also deals in the magic of The Force. Some people will like that. Others will be annoyed by it. I really enjoyed it.

3. outofplace

Now that I've finished Episode 5 and had some time to think about it, I see why they actually bothered to put this one in select movie theaters. Yes, it is a lot of fan service, but I thought it was very well done.

4. outofplace

By the way, the young actress featured prominently in that episode is Ariana Greenblatt, who played the young version of Gamora in Avengers: Infinity War.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Been a pretty fun series. I'm not quite as engaged since my knowledge of the animated stuff isn't super deep, but it's good Star Wars.

6. outofplace

It is kind of the opposite of the first season of The Mandalorian. I don't think you really needed to know much of anything about Star Wars to fully appreciate that show. This one isn't incomprehensible without knowing the animated series, but I imagine it feels like you started reading a 200-page book on page 125.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

True. I didn’t go in completely cold. I’ve watched some of it here and there. And know Thrawn from that and some of the books.

As you said, lots of fan service in the latest one, but it’s well done and really drew me in.

It would be pretty tough to navigate without a bit of background.

8. outofplace

Just finished Episode 6. Star Wars has its tropes and Filoni does love to play them.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It took me a little bit to get caught up with Eps. 5 and 6. I really liked 5. (I don't think I'm out of turn without the spoiler tag, but I can add it later if need be) I thought Anakin's appearance was perfect. It definitely made me nostalgic for the best of Clone Wars.

I liked Episode 6, but I was spoiled that we would finally see Thrawn and found his appearance very underwhelming. Same with Ezra's. I'm actually getting more invested with
    Baylan Skoll. Maybe an anti-Anakin to his apprentice's anti-Ashoka? He seems like he's being drawn away from what he is supposed to be as a Sith and Shin Hati is going to be disillusioned with all of it and go her own path within the Sith.

10. outofplace

I don't think Baylan Skoll was ever a Sith. He just wants no part of being a Jedi, either. I think you are right about a potential rift between him and Shin Hati.

Thrawn's look was okay. He doesn't look intimidating, but I don't expect to see him getting his own hands dirty very often. Though the previous incarnations of the character could more than hold his own in a physical confrontation if he had to, the real threat the character represents is his intellect.

Ezra looked very different from the animated version of the character, but that makes sense given how young he was when he disappeared. He was at an age where his appearance would still be changing quite a bit.

Episode 5 was still the strongest we've seen in the series, including the appearance by Anakin. I love that they are taking on the flaws in the Jedi order, such as allowing so many young apprentices like Ahsoka to become child soldiers.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm remembering the flaws of the English language. When I said "appearance" I meant "when he appeared." However—blue face and red eyes and all—it looks like I meant how they recreated the character. Both are accurate, however. The actor got the cadence of the voice right.

But I should also think about grey areas of the Force. Skoll was introduced as a mercenary and not really part of the Palpatine/Vader Sith faction.

12. outofplace

I see what you mean. Thrawn didn't just jump in with some brilliant strategic move. Just having him show up was supposed to be enough.

Thrawn is one of the few characters they brought over from animation with the same actor. Lars Mikkelson provided his voice on Rebels, too. They also did that with Katee Sackhoff playing Bo Katan in the animated shows and on The Mandalorian. Steve Blum providing the voice for Zeb on Rebels, then again in a cameo on The Mandalorian, but that character is CGI in live action.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted