1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I’m not seeing what you linked, but nobody here ever wrote that. The system favors high-revenue franchises, far more than it does in the other major sports in this country. Apparently, nuance escapes you.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

More time afterward at the speakeasy, though.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Beer sales at ballgames began after Repeal as a way to boost attendance which crashed to near-fatal levels during the Depression. Before that, I don't think beer was sold even before Prohibition.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, the questions.

1. Did Bob Melvin make it public that this is Hader's stance, or did Hader?

2. Is Bob Melvin in any way OK with this refusal?

3. Is there any such provision in Hader's contract?

4. Is the "you guys" he's referring to the media, which probably doesn't give a shit whether he makes himself available for four outs?

5. Would you sign him? (And yes, I know he basically shuts down the ninth.)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the rest of it, but is it really a surprise for Hader to open his mouth and remind everyone that he's a jackass? Given some clarity about how such situations would be handled going forward, if I had a genuine contender in need of a closer, I'd have to consider it. I just doubt I'd be willing to overpay in the way Hader is going to want.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Four outs. Such a sacrifice.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Legit question: Has he done anything since the teenaged Tweets were unearthed? I don't remember anything but it's certainly possible I missed it. I'm fine w/not liking him for the Tweets but just curious if he's acted like an idiot since.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

O's magic number is 2. Kyle Bradish with eight shutout innings, and Yennier Cano strikes out the side in order in the ninth with the best stuff he's shown in three months.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

On a night with heavy hearts.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Never would have thought Gunnar's blast would have been the only run. That was kismet shit tonight. They weren't losing that game.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Is Brant Brown playing right field for the Cubs?

Good lord, what a gaffe.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What the hell just happened to the TBS game?
    I had it on TNT half-listening to "Dark Knight Rises" while doing some stuff around the house, and they cut it off right in the middle to go to the Astros-Mariners game. That game is listed as being on TBS, and when I switch over to TBS I got this message I don't think I've ever seen before. I'm just confused as hell right now.

EDIT: And now we're back, so, uh, never mind. Guess it was just a random cut-in because the last game overflowed and they couldn't show it on TBS ... or something.
    Carry on.

MLB-Blank-Screen-1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted