1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Finally finished third season of Warrior on Max. Such a fun show, hoping for fourth season. Made by the guy who created Banshee and the fight scenes in Warrior, like they were on Banshee, are now the best on TV. Awesome stories about Chinese gangsters and familial bonds and Irish hoodlums and sleazy politicians but, again, mostly awesome for the fighting. A fun binge for anyone looking.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well hell, while we're on the subject of Barry Corbin, I noticed over the weekend that Northern Exposure is finally available in HD video from Amazon Prime (and, I'm also told on iTunes).

Now NX has been available on DVD for 20 some years now, and I have probably two sets stashed away in cartons from my last move, but this is a major leap forward because it's remastered HD video (previous releases were in murky SD) and as far as I can tell, all original music is included. Supposedly this was the major hurdle in the release of NX on streaming platforms -- clearance rights for the original soundtrack songs could not be cleared.

In addition to cheesy and bland background muzik substituting for the quirky soundtrack selections, the previous DVD transfers were badly dubbed off of poor quality tapes. The picture quality was crappy; the new HD editions are crystal clear.

It's kinda pricey in this package --$19.95 and $24.95 for full seasons (three) and $8.95/9.95 for the three partial/half seasons, but I want those damn shows; I'll probably buy a season's worth every month and ask for a couple as Christmas gifts, so by the end of the year I'll have the entire set.

I would guess they'll probably ride through the holiday season selling the packages, hoping to milk the existing fan base of its pent up demand for everything they can get, and then probably next year they'll put it o one of the major streaming services-- Peacock, if I had to guess.

But hey, DanOregon, if you're actually Facebook texting with Barry Corbin, ask him if he's heard anything on the proposed reboot/restart of NX which was bubbling in the news a couple years ago.

As i understood it, the proposed revival of NX was in fairly serious development stage bsck in 2019. Co-creator John Falsey died in early 2019 and I haven't heard anything of the project since.

I believe almost all of the series principal actors are still active in the business; I know Rob Morrow and John Corbett expressed interest in a return as well as most other featured characters. Peg Phillips as Ruth-Anne died in 1997 I believe; but I think she's the only cast member no longer with us. John Culkum (Holling) isstill performing on stage at 93.

NX is one show I think would translate well into today's new reality.

Of course the main character now would probably have to be Holling and Shelly's daughter Randi, who was born in 1995, so she'd be right about 30 when the new version returned.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Frankly, I thought S03E03 was great. Delicious squirming by Holland Taylor's character.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. And for me personally, I kind of figured out that I don't like the Bradley Jackson character, and episode 3 was really good without her. I like all of the studio characters on the morning show (producers, camera people, etc)

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So needed ...

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This makes me so sad; leave well enough alone please.
    And go make a series out of the Nightcrawler movie.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

It's sad if they try to pretend a new cast will produce the same result.

It's a huge hit if they get the old cast back together.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Kinda curious to watch this, I only remember the last two years when the show was going sideways.

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Isn't the old version of The Office still pretty popular on streaming? Why reboot it? Seems like it's only a recipe for disaster by inviting unfair comparisons given how even a new generation of viewers is very familiar with all of the characters.
    Hell, there are people who never gave the old version its due because they couldn't get over the UK version.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

The Willis-Shepherd dynamic was defined by rapid-fire, Sorkin-level dialogue.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Finally finished the Justified reboot.
    I didn’t like how the Armenians didn’t just kill Clement and instead intended for him to starve in the safe room. I also thought that the Boyd stuff at the end diminished the rest of the season

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted