1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Fuck you, Baseball.

(Thank god for 2016. I only ever asked for one.*

*Should've asked for at least two.)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but given what he wrote in those Tweets, I doubt I would ever be surprised by his inner jackass showing itself again.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Brew Crew. (Obligatory once-a-month SJ Brewers post.)

Gutter and Mr. Sluggo like this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Funny clip. Sound is better than just reading it.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is some shit ...

... and the Orioles won 1-0 last night on a leadoff home run in the first by Gunnar Henderson on the day Brooks died. Crazy.

Chef2, MileHigh, jr/shotglass and 3 others like this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

In the bottom of the 8th, I was thinking it would be nice if they added a lot of insurance runs to make the final score 5-0.

Then later in the broadcast they mentioned the stat that you quoted above, and I was wowed.

1-0 was just fine. Perfect.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The O's are 99 percent to win the division at this point ... the Rays would have to sweep their last four and have the Orioles lose four of five to win the East (or go 3-1 and have the O's go 0-5, neither scenario is very likely). That said, I'd love to get this clinching party out of the way for a number of reasons.

* Need to see if Bautista can actually get through a game without pain, preferably in a low-stakes situation. He threw a simulated game the other day, but I think we need to know before the playoffs start if he can be used.
    * Would like to see Flaherty get another start in a no-stakes situation. He could be a pretty key long-relief guy in the ALDS but he has some things to figure out.
    * Ditto Tyler Wells.
    * Bradish needs to pitch on Sunday, just to keep him on regular schedule. He's very likely to be the game 1 starter, but seeing as that won't be until next Saturday, going two weeks without pitching in a real game is not ideal.
    * Would like to see Dean Kremer get right. He's blown way past his previous innings high and it's shown in the last four starts, as he's been unable to get past the fifth inning in any of them and hasn't gotten out of the fifth in three of them. He's going to be part of the postseason rotation so a confidence boosting start at the end of the year would be nice.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And get Mountcastle back.

Cosmo likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If Kremer's anything more than long relief, Brandon Hyde is making a mistake. Bradish, Means. Gibson. Rodriguez.

Cosmo likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the 19th century, the American Association sold alcohol at games while the National League did not. The NL owners called it the “Beer and Whiskey League” and, since the AA charged lower ticket prices. looked down on them as lower class.

I’m not sure if the NL or AL sold beer prior to Prohibition, but in 1931 President Hoover attended a World Series game where the fans booed him and chanted, “We want beer!”

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hoover got shouted down in Philadelphia but ironically the A's never sold beer at Shibe Park because it wasn't legal to do so. Finally got legalized for the Phillies in the late 1950s, I think. One of Connie Mack's two dim-witted sons tried to use that as an excuse for running the franchise into the ground after Mack Sr. ended his day-to-day connection with the team after the 1950 season.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No Sunday baseball in Philly for a long time, too. Even when I was a little kid, city had a Sunday curfew for games. I think they had to end by 6.

micropolitan guy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted