1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

JP! The Mariners stay alive!

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Heard it live on the radio driving home from work. Rick Rizzs, ATV injuries and all, is still a treat to hear calling the key moments of games.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Orioles reach 100 wins for the first time since 1980.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Damn, gotta read that. Foxy lol

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The value of "a" stolen base is not the issue. The issue is the cost/benefit calculus in play in the pursuit of stolen bases.

6. Songbird

How many of Acuña's swipes led to runs and if you want to go balls-deep, how many of those SB-runs tied or gave the Braves the lead, or were the winning runs?

Newsweek -- Newsweek? -- wrote this: Examining the significance of Ronald Acuna's 40 home run 70 steal season

The 70th stolen base:

Acuña recorded his 70th steal in the bottom of the 10th inning. With his team down one run, his RBI single tied the game. He went on to steal second base, setting a new milestone, and came around to score the game-winning run.

Also, didn't know he didn't strike that much, just 82 times in 634 AB's.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. doctorquant

Even that's a pretty fraught question, because to answer it you have to estimate how many runs were scored that wouldn't have scored otherwise.

8. Songbird

This ain't WAR lol.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ok, so do they significantly impact total runs or not? At what percentage of success rate do they become helpful, 75%, 80%?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is certainly possible to figure out how many times those stolen bases put him in position to score when he most likely wouldn't have scored if he had stayed put. The problem is that leaves out the disruptive element of base-stealing. It doesn't just get pitchers to try their pick-off moves or to throw from the stretch. It is a distraction for the pitchers, catchers, and infielders.

11. doctorquant

I don't think it's quite that high ... something like 65% to 75% is what I recall reading.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How do you quantify how much of a distraction it is to a pitcher when there's a known stolen base threat on base? I'm guessing there must be stats about how well pitchers fair in such situations. Not with all guys on base; that's simple. But merely with guys who are threats to steal. The idea that the Cardinals in the 1980s didn't benefit from stealing bases would be an inane one to make.

Draft saved Draft deleted