1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the incumbent President runs for re-election, he is nominated by his party. It's like an ironclad rule. Biden is running. Barring catastrophic health failure, he will be nominated without significant opposition. I might add, if Biden could figure out how to grow younger, he'd damn well deserve re-election. Why are people worried about Biden's age? I am convinced it's because since so many people think of the President at the national Daddy, his age brings up unhappy thoughts about mortality, their own and that of their loved ones.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Certainly a valid question.

But how old is Trump? How overweight? What would a real doctor say about his health?

Is there any actuarial difference between Biden and Trump?

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trump yells a lot, which convinces TV viewers he's in great shape. Biden is quiet on TV, so he's old.

OscarMadison, garrow and Kato like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Old Joe™ doesn't have all that powdered Adderall working for him.

160826-trump-doctor-mbe_522p.jpg

garrow likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Party of Personal Responsibility.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bill Maher, Just Another 'Libertarian' Asking Questions™

(It's also a bullshit premise even as joke, because - unlike RBG - there's a clear line of succession to the next President if Old Joe™ is incapacitated. Her name is Kamala Harris.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

And the story is just lazy at this point. Bring something that hasn’t been done a million times. Lazy lazy lazy.

I will admit I find Maher particularly objectionable because of his recent anti-union bullshit. Was about to be a scab before shamed out of it.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Watching Newsom surrogating for Biden during the circus "debate" out here in SoCal makes me wonder if the Biden-Harris campaign should flood the zone with as many Newsom/Harris/Buttigieg/Haaland/Raimondo/Becerra/Granholm/Austin etc etc appearances and events as possible to make the narrative about how we're really going to the polls to select a team, not a person.

garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The danger in that is "These people are really running the country, not senile old Joe."

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

If my choices are an octogenarian or a raving lunatic...

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I want to see Trump ride four blocks on a bicycle before I engage in this conversation.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

His precarious health paints the party in a corner because the emergency replacement CANNOT win. Protocol over pragmatism.

Actuaries aren't voting. There are Dems/Independents worried about Biden's age. GOPers are not worried about Trump's age.

It doesn't matter if both are working at, say, 70% of mental capacity. Only one is PERCEIVED by his potential voters to be working in a reduced capacity.

And finally, piggybacking on my response to Gee, Biden's replacement cannot win. An emergency Trump replacement CAN win. That's another reason GOPers aren't as concerned.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted