1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I actually like the more coaches; if that's available as a tool why not use them?

I'm not hanging the performance on Kapler, he only had spare parts to use while the Ferrari team is using custom made parts developed at the Ferrari factory.

Nevertheless, it was a dry boring team and someone was going to be the scapegoat. I'm thinking (okay hoping) that Melvin is about to get let go and the Giants snap up the SD scrap (again) and turn him into a HOF'er!

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know of any analysis that has shown any measurable benefit to having a stolen base threat on first.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yep. He’s not the one that gave Mitch Haniger $43 million for three years.

Hermes, qtlaw and Spartan Squad like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I can’t think of a worse schedule than getting the Braves and a division rival motivated for their stadium to not be filled with Cub fans in a playoff series, but the Cubs are kinda this team. That stretch in the summer was a mirage.

They are an 82-win team and they may end up being an 82-win team.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Probably very few arguments over playing time since there’s just 10 of them and at least one of them would have been hungover each day after spending the night in the saloon with demon rum.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A Baseball Research Stathead search for aggregated data over the past 110 years or so:
    Batting average when first and only first is occupied: .274
    Batting average when bases are empty: .255

That discrepancy looks significant to me. Seems to strengthen the argument that pitchers are distracted by the presence of a runner on first.

Yet the walk rate with first base occupied is far lower (6.52%) than the walk rate with the bases empty (7.92%).

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That squares with the idea that pitchers throw more strikes in that situation, leading to perhaps the higher BA. You definitely don't want to give a free pass and have two runners on, so you're willing to pitch in the zone, with the trade off being roughly three hits for eight outs over every 11 at-bats. In addition, balls in the strike zone are easier for catchers to handle if the guy at first takes off.

I don't know if the Braves have employed the hit-and-run with Acuna more often this season because he's probably getting to third on almost any base hit. But starting the runner with a contact hitter at the plate is a strategy that definitely deserves more study. I realize when everyone's playing Three True Outcomes, runners in scoring position aren't critical but more runners score from second than from first over the course of a season.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And the 4-hole is significantly larger when first base is occupied.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Miguel Cabrera is going out in style in front a sold-out Comerica National Park. Another double legged out today plus he took third on a long fly to right. He's 6 for his last 9 and just passed George Kell in all-time career batting average.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Once again, I'm having this troubling vision of Kyle Gibson getting a postseason start and giving up seven runs and 12 hits in 4 1/3.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted