1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While I think that's largely true, it should be easy enough to say it out loud. Instead, Haley conflates things Biden has done with things Harris might do.

She also leaves a lot to the listener's imagination.

Is Haley impugning Harris's progressive positions? Or her competence? Her politics? Or her character?

What Haley manages to do by omission in these interviews - in which the 'chill up the spine' line recurs and recurs and recurs - is to lean heavily on conservative fears.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Once more, with gusto ... for heaven's sake.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Scaring people has been the GOP game since before this episode aired almost 30 years ago:

And yes, it is a strategy that has long relied on the subtext of racism without explicitly saying it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gaetz show his balls yet?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just my opinion.

Your first question: No, not in the tank. But I think they’re trying to bend over backwards trying to appear objective because they’re afraid of the GOP calling them biased instead of telling it like it is.

Your second question: Not so much the reporters, but it seems like a lot of political reporting, and not just with the NYT, is just useless analysis with a lot of “coulds”, “mays” and “ifs”.

Stop telling me what could happen. Start telling me what is happening.

Liut likes this.
  6. doctorquant

"Scaring people" is another way of saying "Practicing politics."

Azrael likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Over the weekend I was in the hotel meeting room where the Bretton Woods conference founded the IMF. I am certain it didn't have to be fumigated after like the court room today in New York.

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

This post made me LOL. I saw it on my laptop and the photos were large and as I was scrolling, wondered, "Where is this going?" And then the payoff. Well done. Take your well-deserved Like.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The New York Times is comprised of nonserious political reporters, more interested in creating a political narrative and horse race than in reporting on reality.

garrow and matt_garth like this.
  11. doctorquant

I very much doubt the NYT's reportorial ranks are filled with "Truth be damned, clicks first!" types.

franticscribe and FileNotFound like this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Maggie Haberman withheld vital, timely information from her readers, with her editors’ permission, in order to sell a book. And she’s their lead writer. Tell me more about this principled NYT political staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted