1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

But that just gets us back to racism and misogyny.

Politicians rely on the prejudices of the voter.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Only if that's where you're absolutely insistent we go.

Azrael likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Regarding the Times and the Post, et al, no legacy media outlet has yet figured out how to cover Trump or Trumpism.

As I've often posted, he's a singularity in the history of the presidency. A pathological liar and con artist.

He's the embodiment of the old Philosophy 101 riddle: am I telling you the truth when I say everything I tell you is a lie?

The press wasn't prepared for him in 2015.

It still doesn't know what to do with him.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not saying Nikki Haley is herself racist or misogynist.

But as a politician she may traffic in those things by

a) advocating for a party platform that is (arguably) both

and

b) exploiting those prejudices among potential voters.

@Alma seems to think neither of those is/are possible.

tapintoamerica and franticscribe like this.
  5. doctorquant

And I don't think Kamala Harris is a race/gender huckster who yearns to preside over a northern European welfare state administered along the ideological fashions du jour, but as a politician yada yada.

Azrael likes this.
  6. doctorquant

Also ... this 24/7 ginned-up outrage at the latest from @Alma gets ooooooooold.

franticscribe and Azrael like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As the last conservative standing on Radical Survivor Island, he catches all the flak!

dixiehack and doctorquant like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think we can stipulate that all campaigning politicians are opportunists.

What's interesting to me going into 2024 is that Republicans are now campaigning against the incumbent Vice-President as much as the incumbent President.

And that puts them in a bind. You can't simultaneously say she's done nothing (which is the definition of the vice-presidency) while also saying there's lots of evidence of her radical progressivism.

Hence the critiques lean to speculative, chill-up-the-spine stuff.

Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if we had two women of color duking it out for the highest office in the land.

9. doctorquant

Especially since she was a total unknown when Team Biden picked her: There's absolutely nothing in her past to pick through!

Azrael likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Times sends me an alert last night claiming that Kevin McCarthy’s survival as House speaker depends on the support of Democrats. But there’s no deal to be had. None. Zero. Let him fall. He’s such a pathetic character that he doesn’t deserve any bailout. Everyone saw this coming for a year. If anything Democrats should be trying to pick up enough votes from disaffected retiring Republicans and see if they’ll vote for Jeffries. It’s a longer than 50-50 shot, but it’s worth a try. Even more of an insult to most of the GOP, once again the masters will be put in place by their former servants. And you think they went nuts over Obama… a person of color as speaker AND another as vice president? I’m here for every bit of it.

(Don’t give me the identity politics BS. The GOP has been dog-whistling since Nixon. Use their strategy against them.)

Deskgrunt50 and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Old positions are old positions. She'll have to defend hers the same way Haley et al will.

But what has she done lately? Nothing! Or too much!

As always, it'll be interesting to see how loyal a VP is to the policies of a sitting president.

Biden? I barely know him!

doctorquant likes this.
  12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Know what will be interesting? What happens in Nov. 2024 in Penn., Nev., Ariz., Wisc. and Ga.

The rest is already virtually decided and really, not sure how or what campaigning will really work in any of the others.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted