1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So, with the Rangers facing the Rays instead of Toronto, is that better off for the O’s?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Rangers really blew it by losing that last game, win and avoid the WC round. Damn, want Bochy to do well. Oh well, more love for Dusty.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hearing Nevin is out in Anaheim.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yep, just got posted on the Angels website. Let the rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic begin.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Nevin was only hired because Moreno was selling the team and he needed a placeholder. The players seemed to love him, but he was not a good game manager.
    His handling of the pitching staff was not good and he was successful on only six of 28 challenges, 21 percent, which I believe is the lowest in the Majors.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This is very well done

matt_garth and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Outstanding. Some baseball movies require you to suspend belief because the actors obviously aren't athletic. Others have good enough actors to make you believe they could actually play.

I really would have loved to see a clip of Joe Hardy from Damn Yankees.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Seriously, I'm not concerned about the opponent. Play who's in front of you. Tampa has better pitching and matches up with the Orioles better, but the second you think you've got a favorable matchup against Texas, the Rangers will sneak up on you. See ALCS 2014, when lots of Orioles fans were thrilled to see the Royals on the other side before promptly getting punched in the face and swept out of the series.

With this team, I'll take my chances against anyone in the AL. For some reason, I don't think the moment is going to overwhelm them.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A word regarding the Rangers: Never underestimate a Bruce Bochy team. Wasn't favored in 2010, 2014 or 2014. And half the fun of that run was watching Bochy outfox the other manager.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think people are underestimating the Twins, too, just because they played in a terrible division. I don't think anyone in the American League is going to be an easy out.

Draft saved Draft deleted