1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If I thought he was even 5 percent earnest, there would be little outrage. How much outrage do I throw your way?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Either of them are possible.

The MSNBC column indicated they are a primary driving factor.

The second reason Republicans are shouting that a Harris presidency is uniquely terrifying is simple and straightforward: race-baiting and misogyny. They’re not actually frightened of a Harris presidency, but they believe that just as they ginned up rage and fear against Obama and Hillary Clinton that burned with the fire of a thousand suns, they can do the same with Harris.

The column implicates Haley as trading in this. My point was that seemed kind of silly, using Haley as the object lesson.

Of course, the underlying sentiment to the MSNBC piece is there is no legitimate criticism to made of Harris or Biden, because there is no legitimate criticism to be made of progressivism.

Which, anybody is entitled to that opinion. Likewise, resistance to it - that is, criticism of progressivism - is not inherently evil.

Azrael likes this.
  3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Convincing white Protestant Americans that the "other" is to blame for all their problems is a tradition as American as apple pie, and basically started before the ink was dry on the Articles of Confederation.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This sentence seems to implicate the whole party, doesn't it?.

And again, maybe Ms. Haley should make specific criticisms, rather than simply repeating

“We have to make sure we win this because the thought of Kamala Harris being president should send a chill up every American’s spine."

Why
    should she send a chill up the spine of every American?

Needlessly complex estate tax planning?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

MI is up for grabs as far as I’m concerned. Any state that went red in 2016 but blue in 2020 is.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It does. But it uses Haley's quote.

So long as we're playing the "look past what they write or say and apply the least charitable reading of their intent" game, I could just as easily say it wouldn't make any difference how specific or general Haley made her criticisms, MSNBC would supply the same hidden motivation to them.

Azrael likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm just asking why a chill should go up my spine at the mere mention of Harris in the White House.

Is she going to empty all the jails she filled?

Kamala Harris, Mass Incarceration and Me (Published 2020)

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not as much as is deserved, I'm sure.

Azrael and Regan MacNeil like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think I'm struck by the "if you don't use the word fascist and liar on a consistent basis, you're a nonserious journalist" as an objective standard.

If "we're right on the edge, the precipice, of losing American democracy all the time, every day" isn't the default setting, you're not serious.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Chills and spines and Dr. V and Kamala and we need Caleb Hannan on this story.

doctorquant likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Blasphemy!

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The prohibitive Republican nominee and former president said shoplifters will be shot during his second term.

So yes, Alma, you're not a serious person and neither are NYT political writers/editors.

Draft saved Draft deleted