1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Or a knockoff cheating dating website.

tapintoamerica and sgreenwell like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A month later, JFK was assassinated in Dallas on a Friday. In 1998, when I was researching the 1963 Rocky Mount High School athletics team that won large city white school state championships in football, basketball and baseball in the same season, I realized they played the title game in Winston-Salem on the night Kennedy was shot. The two stories ran side-by-side on the paper's front page the next day.

Nobody, not even the former sports editor who wrote the gamer and still lived in town, could remember 25 years later why the game wasn't postponed. One, it could have been logistical, given that everything was already in place to hold the game. The teams were there, the tickets sold, and perhaps the shock created a situation where everyone needed a sense of normalcy.

Two, it could have been the distain many people in the state had for northern Democrats in general and Kennedy in particular. But that's only based on the politics of the time and some second-hand anecdotes of people's initial reaction to the shooting in Dallas.

The reason why I bring this up is that sons of that era were going to Vietnam for a completely different terrible gallop of bodies. The kid who caught the winning touchdown pass graduated from high school in 1964, went into the Army and was last seen during a firefight with the North Vietnamese in 1968.

SFC William Darrell Johnson (1946-1979) - Find a...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    franticscribe and dixiehack like this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

My first annual post of a local favorite ...

The big stud from Podunk was tall.
    And he sure liked to run with the ball.
    But the local preps writer
    Said he wasn't a fighter.
    "He cost me a scholarship, Pawwwwwlll!"

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sounds like the offenses were playing 11-man and the defenses 7-man.

sgreenwell, HanSenSE and Typist Clerk like this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

"Lights went out" is a euphemism?

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I watched some of the film. Spanish matadors would be proud of the defenses on both sides.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not a score, but I heard what I thought was a funny line from a local PBP guy this weekend.

A receiver got loose for a wide-open TD catch. The guy said, "He was lonelier than the chess-club president on prom night!"

Draft saved Draft deleted