1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ugh. Yesterday I had a wedding that started at 5:30 so I got to watch until the seventh (thanks to the rain delay) and listened to the rest on the ESPN radio feed on my phone. Today, on the golf course as part of our fall board meeting and only got to see the end. Only thing they can do is win Tuesday and try to fight for another day. This team has had its back against the wall before and has come through. If it ends Tuesday, I'll appreciate the memories of a great regular season and all of the joy they've given me this year. This is also 100 percent just the opening of a window, and they'll be back.

tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

A lot of young teams built from the ground up don’t win their first time. The Cubs didn’t. The Royals didn’t. the Astros didn’t. Etc.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    UNCGrad likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not to mention ... MommaQuant and I will be in attendance at Globe Life Field tomorrow night, and in our career we're oh-fer at possible Rangers clinchers. You're welcome, Orioles fans.

Cosmo and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

BINGO.

Do you remember Alex Rodriguez getting a lot of shit for discussing his future plans during a World Series game?

Alex was in the stands watching the game.

That nitwit Rosenthal was to blame. He’s the one that went traipsing down the aisle and put the microphone in Alex’s face.

No one blamed Rosenthal - Alex took all the heat.

Rosenthal’s early days were at The Baltimore Sun and he routinely got hate mail. The Sun eventually pushed him along and out.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey Siri, who won the Dodgers game last night?

"The Dodgers were subjugated by the Arizona Diamondbacks ... "

Joe Buck and Siri need to work the booth together during playoff baseball.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As it turns out, this wasn't a straight steal. It was a botched hit-and-run in which Hicks missed the sign. (And, tangentially, he did not own up to it.)

doctorquant likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm growing tired of fan and media lamentation about the Orioles' shortcomings of acquisitions at the trade deadline.
    Game 2 comes down to the failure of the starting pitcher, who had been awesome and who had clearly earned the right to that assignment. He just didn't have any command.
    To a lesser extent, the issue was the decision to activate Brian Baker and to use him. He shouldn't have been anywhere near Camden Yards. That's a different kind of administrative or managerial error.
    As to the trade deadline and other roster upgrades, here are the questions that skeptics and critics must answer:
    * Who was available and could have been acquired?
    * What price were you willing to pay to get them?

FileNotFound and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

This was a good show. I watched it as a Dodgers fans and it didn't piss me off as much as I thought it would. Jeff Luhnow continues to play dumb and Jim Crane and the organization would not comment. but there's good stuff from one of the video guys. I would have liked to hear from Mike Fiers, but overall it was well done.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Heard on the radio this morning:

The top five best W-L record teams of the regular season have combined to go 0-8 so far in the playoffs.

That includes ATL 0-1, LAD 0-1, BAL 0-2, MLW 0-2 and TB 0-2.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Watching Wheeler right now, I see 36 pitches in two innings as he's shut Atlanta down cold. If he stays on that pace, he hits 90 pitches after five innings -- and you know Thomson goes to the bullpen soon after that.

This led me to wonder, what sort of pitch counts were starters ringing up in the day of Gibson, Drysdale, Koufax, when complete games were a relative expectation? It would follow that they probably were pushing 120-130 on a regular basis. Can we imagine what Bob Gibson's pitch counts looked like in 1968?

But here's the punch to the stomach: baseball-reference.com doesn't show pitch counts from that era. It appears that they began to record them in the 1988 season.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted