1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Get some fucking pitching in the offseason, Elias.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And Dean Kremer has scared me all year. His command is not great.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I love that Harper decided he was scoring from first on that ball when it left the bat.

There was so much going on in that play.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Multiply that game by 5, and you get Phillies-Astros in 1980 NLCS.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

“Grandpa, tell me about how the Astros used to cheat in the National League.”

poindexter and Vombatus like this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’ve discounted them all year, but it might just be that the Rangers are actually pretty good.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He ain't the problem. Dipshit sonny boy hoarding the cash is the problem.

Cosmo and Vombatus like this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Os have some serious young talent; I wish they played for the other Orange & Black team….

Rangers are just hitting bombs.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

It ain’t over til it’s over.

I’m going to watch all of this.

In pain.

Wait, I have some Tramadol.
    See you tomorrow!

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They were awesome early on. Obscured to some extent by the Rays' great start. Then they got hurt. Then they got healthy. Now they get the Astros. And that might be -- for once in this postseason -- worth watching.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Didn't have real expectations of a World Series run. Just doesn't work that way in baseball with a team that young. Would have liked to have seen them win a game. We all talked about the Twins and their losing streak but Baltimore has low-key lost eight postseason games in a row since sweeping Detroit in the ALDS in 2014.

Anyway, the club was far ahead of schedule this year. This stings, but there are too many positives to be too shaken by it. Keys for next year, obviously: 1. Identify some real starting pitching outside of Bradish and Rodriguez. With GR, I think the moment WAS too big for him on Sunday. He's young and very talented and will bounce back. He's a legit 2 or 3 starter. But the rest of the mix are a bunch of No. 4 and 5 types -- Kremer, Gibson, Wells, etc., etc. Or maybe they're better than that but they all blew so far past their innings highs that they were dead by the time the postseason rolled around. I feared that, actually. Should be much easier to attract some high to mid-rotation guys after this year's success. All contingent on asshole Angelos giving Elias some leeway with the budget, as BYH noted.

Actually not stunned at the lack of offense in this series. Several of the guys who were key in the hot streak just fell apart at the end, most notably Mullins and O'Hearn. More time for postmortem as the hot-stove heats up, but lots of great memories from this season and 101 wins and an AL East title are nothing to sneeze at.

Also, I don't want to hear the time-off argument that the lazy media types try to trot out. Texas won four straight road games against the two best teams in the American League. Rangers absolutely deserved to move on, and they don't need to hear asterisks about how Baltimore's offense was dead because of the layoff.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

How many games did Baltimore win this October?

For the record, this was less about the Orioles, a likeable young club, and more about this tradition.

Draft saved Draft deleted