1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The cost will be in one of two forms but probably not both: cash or prospects. I'd prefer the former. If it's the latter, don't trade for one-year rentals.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That was a bit of a heat-of-the-moment statement after watching two different starting pitchers fail to get out of the second inning whilst allowing 11 earned runs combined. Offense has no chance in that scenario.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This turned out to be very prophetic. Good call, HanSenSE.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, but after what amounts to two years of this format, the teams w/the byes are absolutely at a disadvantage when facing teams that have already worked up a sweat. As Ken Rosenthal noted this week, the answer is probably even worse: An expansion of the playoff field to 16 teams after MLB expands to 32 teams.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

One of the classic gack jobs in MLB history. The Rangers led the division for 156 days and won on a walk-off at Oakland during their final West Coast swing. They were up 5 with 9 games left and incredibly pissed it away.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not having a healthy John Means for the past two years has hurt. If he's healthy, that's similar to a new acquisition. G Rod is legit.
    There are no guarantees. But I feel better about my team tonight than I did a year ago, and I was pretty pleased then.

As for tonight, Dean Kremer's brother is in the Israeli army. The broadcast -- before I had to mute John Smoltz -- indicated several of Kremer's relatives live in the region. So he gets a pass in my book.

But it was over by the second inning on Sunday.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Ivan Rodriguez took a shot at the plate to end a 2003 NL Division Series against the Giants and held on but I think that was from a base hit.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A crazy corollary is the next year, 2013, they had to win the final week to just get in a play-in game and they did, but lost Game No. 163 to the Rays.

2014 was an aberration where the team collapsed after starting out 35-35. They returned to the ALDS the following two years but got Bautista'd by the Jays in 2015 and 2016.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What is needed now, you aren't getting with straight cash. Some of these prospects have to be moved. You can't play them all.

Move two of these four: Urias, Mateo, Frazier, McCann. I'd prefer they keep McCann. Regardless of what transpired in recent weeks, hold onto Mullins and O'Hearn. They're ballers. And I'm conflicted on the futures of Anthony Santander and Ryan Mountcastle. I don't know if they can pay both.

Rutschman, Henderson and Westburg are the blocks you build around. Holliday is untouchable, maybe Kjerstad. Start there, and deal for two solid rotation guys. Cowser, Mayo. Stowers ... dangle them all.

To me, the 1 and 2 starters are a given. Gibson and Kremer will not be the answer beyond that. Means and Wells might be part of the answer. DL Hall will be part of the answer. But Elias must get them mound help, there's no question. And I agree, get pitchers you can hang onto for a while.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    maumann likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh how I remember that awful week.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Gibson, Frazier, Flaherty, Hicks and Fujinami are UFAs. Though a useful piece, Hicks probably played himself into a starting role somewhere and too large of a contract for a 33-year-old on a very young team. There are options in the minors who can slot into his utility outfield role. Fuji showed some flashes and is a potential project a la Cano, but do you really want to take that chance? He's 29. Gibson is 35 and is a No. 4 starter at best. Had the Orioles won last night, I'm not sure he would have even gotten the ball in Game 4. Flaherty? Uh, no. Frazier, nice utility piece but the O's are loaded with infielders knocking on the door that can do what he does for cheaper. I'm not sure any of them come back.

Santander, Means, O'Hearn and Coulombe are 2025 UFAs. I think you have to make the decision in the offseason whether to extend Santander or not. Means? I think you need to see a full season from him before making a decision.

EDIT: To add key UFA starting pitchers for 2024.
    Ohtani (ha)
    Kershaw (no)
    Hyun-Jin Ryu (way too expensive at age 37)
    Martin Perez
    Julio Urias
    Alex Wood
    Aaron Nola
    Lucas Giolito
    Sonny Gray
    Blake Snell
    Luis Severino

The only ones who really interest me on that list are Nola, Gray and Snell, and you'd probably have to break the bank for Snell. Trading for pitching much more likely.

maumann likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You touched on Wells as a back-of-the-rotation guy. I'm not sure I agree. He was among the game's most effective starters in the first half before he tired. The pitches coming from that 6-8 frame have a different look when a hitter is staring down the barrel.

Means coming up with elbow soreness this week shook some, I'm sure. It did me. But if he's healthy in 2024, he's a well above-average starter, too.

The marketability of Aaron Nola might be adjusted after tonight.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted