1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Didn't the story just say Musk was subject to a hefty fine (which would be enforced . . . how exactly)?

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Someone posts on a website that he/she maintains. Someone posts on Blogger. Someone posts on Twitter. Does the website host have to block the website? Does Google have to shut down the blog? Does Twitter have to block the account?

I don't understand why people thinking restricting speech is a good road to go down, how you can trust the government to decide, or how this quasi-governmental action is democratic.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

An anti-Semite owns a website where fellow anti-Semites post falsehoods about an ongoing war, in an attempt to make the Jews look bad.

They can do this largely because the owner of that website stripped away the tools use to prevent such misinformation, and changed the format of the site to amplify those anti-Semite posters above the voices of disagrees with them.

If Europe decides that is unacceptable, Europe can take the action it deems necessary. Europe has kind of a bad history with Nazis and its leaders generally understand that letting Nazis run free and spread their message unfettered doesn't really end well.

I take a dim view of anti-Semitic propaganda, so again, it's no skin off my nose if Europe collectively decides not to entertain the anti-Semites. And I don't expect Germany or France or the Netherlands to abide by an American standard of restriction of free speech.

SFIND and Slacker like this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Okay. How do you enforce it and what is the distinction among a personal website, a Blogger account, and a Twitter account?

The 'standard of restriction of free speech' that you refer to should not be considered an American concept or belief.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

How do I enforce it? I don’t give a shit. I’m not an EU official. If they decide they want to regulate it, they can figure out the enforcement.

I do not believe the countries of Europe have some kind of moral obligation to allow anti-Semites to spread hate unfettered. It hasn’t worked out well for them in the past.

SFIND, Baron Scicluna, wicked and 4 others like this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

For what it’s worth, I have headlines back in links this evening.

I assume the EU enforces its laws on misinformation the same way it enforces its laws on things like Internet privacy or technology regulation. Failure to comply will result in their being banned in the European market. There were several major websites that were unavailable for weeks in Europe earlier this year because they were not compliant with the newly enacted GDPR statutes, which I believe had to do with data privacy. It being Elon he might just be a scofflaw and challenge them to actually ban him or have a temper tantrum and shut down Starlink or something.

7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The EU undercutting Twitter is as big of a deal as the U.S. doing it.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Not one fucking cent, Elmo.

Draft saved Draft deleted