1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I sort of forget about Wells because of his dead arm in the middle of the season. The Orioles are going to need a closer next year too, because I think Cano is far more effective in an 8th inning role. Is there a world where someone like Wells could be that guy? His stuff is great when he's on. I've seen stranger things...

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

With their loaded infield, Urias, Mateo & Frazier should be goners, though they won't net a whole lot. McCann is a really hard to find good backup catcher. He's not gonna be Rutschman for two months, but he can hold the fort for two or three weeks if necessary.

The problem with the starting pitching market is they're gonna have to move a nearly untouchable dude--or two--to get a legit no. 1/no. 2 whom they can control beyond next year. The only legitimate candidate there is Mitch Keller from @outofplace's beloved Pirates. All the Brewers' guys are headed for free agency after 2024 and Shane Bieber's stuff is down a lot.

Westburg wasn't treated as an untouchable down the stretch. I think he's the odd man out w/Holliday & Henderson looking like All-Stars into the 2030s. I'm not sure Kjerstad is untouchable. Given his prospect status and youth, he may need to be dangled too if they're going to get Keller.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Their best players are making peanuts -- go get Snell for like 5 for 175. it's only money and you're about to make a ton more of it because people will actually show up now.

Trade McCann and the money you are spending on Frazier and you'd only be adding 25 million to your payroll for an about to be two-time Cy Young winner who turns 31 next year

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Dipshit Sonny Boy spending big? In this economy?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know it's sudden, but I think Harper just tilted the trajectory of this series. The place gets electric when he does his thing.

poindexter likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Philly has gotten its money’s worth from Harper.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I'm not sure there's been a player who has drawn a bigger target on his back and consistently delivered quite like Harper, a world-class douche bro who is now authoring unforgettable postseason moments on the regular.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's gone from overrated to an absolute postseason assassin and Philly legend in the blink of an eye.

UNCGrad likes this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

On a first-ballot HOF track and by the time he's done he might be unanimous.

10. jr/shotglass

Let's examine "overrated."

2008: Sports Illustrated cover at 16
    2012: Selected All-Star at 19, NL Rookie of the Year at 20
    2015: Unanimous NL MVP at 22, youngest ever to accomplish that
    2017: Top vote-getter for All-Star Game
    2019: 13 years, $330 million
    2021: Second NL MVP
    2022: Leads Phillies to World Series
    2023: Returns from TJ in six months

People laughed for quite a while at Harper being mentioned in the same breath as Mike Trout. Welllll ...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    FileNotFound, MTM and JC like this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't saddle me with that disgrace of a franchise. I've been happily free from rooting for the Pirates for about 30 years. :)

I'm not sure Keller helps them all that much. I watched closely this year because I had him on two fantasy teams. He is just so erratic. He has stretches of dominance, then he gets obliterated. I'm just not sure that is going to change. I'm sure the Pirates would be thrilled to get Kjersted for him. They have traded for some prospects who panned out, but I can't remember them holding out for an elite talent. They are usually too busy cutting payroll to do that and every team in MLB knows it. Keller is arbitration eligible, so I imagine they are going to want to get out of giving him the pay raise that his 2023 will command.

maumann likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

Frankly, I don't think Keller would crack the Bradish/Rodriguez 1-2. It's probably a shame that the nation caught the kid in his not-ready-for-prime-time moment Sunday. Rodriguez was goosebump good late in the regular season.

Draft saved Draft deleted