1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

As Lancey pointed out, he was doing the World Series with ABC before the Miracle On Ice. Did the games in Pittsburgh in the 1979 World Series.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Ah, missed that. I knew he was on the World Series by '83.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And even if they were there, they would have cheated by submitting a roster of doped up athletes. Russia can go burn in a Iranian fire. They both suck.

Slacker, 2muchcoffeeman and Octave like this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I agree - fuck them with that guy's gigantic dong that was getting spammed to everyone on here years ago. Tired of their clown ass. They all suck.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Giant Asian Dong (TM)

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There would have been no "Miracle" without them. They were missed. And God, was their anthem missed. Eighty-three "Star Spangled Banners." Ugh. :eek:

Sorry, but "We beat the Italians!" just doesn't have the same cache.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I like that a serious health bulletin still turns into a chance for a bunch of olde dudes to reminisce about 1984- that magickal tyme.
    As you were.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

FUCK YOU BUBBS I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL :D

I am of course (for once) incorrect and Al was already well-known. But I have to think his longevity is largely due to being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time and delivering memorable in the moment calls of the Miracle on Ice & the World Series earthquake. Of course, a talent for those moments is a unique talent all by itself. Goodness, a year-plus of Mike Tirico has completely shifted me on my forever view of Al Michaels @poindexter.

maumann likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You're forgetting the third, and probably the best - Al chiming in to tell clueless Peter Jennings live as OJ is holed up in Brentwood that he'd just been pranked on air by a Howard Stern caller. Impeccable wordsmanship as he delicately, yet firmly told that oaf Jennings that he'd been had.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  10. poindexter

It's quite the tensis...

11. poindexter

Any update on dying Mary Lou Retton?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Al does not get enough credit for the earthquake coverage. Called it as it was happening before they went off the air then when they came back on he was beyond nails. And he had a direct line to Robert Kardashian for the O.J. chase.

Slacker, dixiehack and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted