1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't remember if he had moved to LA or was still living on the Peninsula at the time, but, again, his years with the Giants gave him the working knowledge of the Bay Area Ted Koppel would not have in the studio. Plus they had the blimp at their disposal.

The local ABC station was scrambling just to stay on the air. Me? Section 14, lower boxes on the third base side.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Me? Helping coordinate coverage from KUIC in Vacaville where we rocked and rolled but had little damage. Our program director was at Candlestick and didn't get home until the wee hours, having to go through San Jose and back north because the bridges were closed.

I don't remember if CalTrans shut down the Benicia and Antioch bridges as well.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was in SoCal watching live at just after 5 p.m. and told my parents to call my aunt and uncle in Sonoma to make sure they were OK.

maumann likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Approves. Read about it in Time Magazine.
    [​IMG]

Slacker and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Regarding Mary Lou - you think about the two memorable US Olympic gymnastic wins, both coming off of vault - with Retton and Strug. It wouldn't have been the same if they finished up on the beam or floor - maybe the bars. But vault is such a "do or die" event - the run up, the twists and turns, but you have to stick the landing. Great event to cap a big win.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The U.S. clinched gold before Strug's vault.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Farcical.

Huggy and poindexter like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes. But neither Strug nor her teammates knew it at the time.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Me? I was across the bay at the Oakland Hyattt (basically across the street from the Coliseum). Could not figure out why the pool water was splashing with nobody in the pool.

maumann likes this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Nobody anywhere ever misses the fuckin' Russians. For any fuckin' thing, any fuckin' time.

And, sorry, but "We're bombing those dirty Ukranian children and their families" has no cachet at all, either.

p.s. "Cachet," Boris. Aren't you a word editor somewhere?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I was flying into San Francisco the day after the earthquake hit ... or so I thought.

Finally got there two days later so I could catch those local games of the World Series, but my flight home was booked for the next week, and so I had to fly home at that time. ... The World Series resumed the day after I left, of course.

Thanks again, Baseball Jesus!

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted