1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football Stat Keeping Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've heard of this but have never seen it until tonight.
    Ball snapped over punter's head. Kid races back, grabs ball and tries to get the punt off. It's short of the LOS, a teammate catches it and starts running. He ended up short of the first down by a foot.
    I have no idea how to score that. I'm trying every google search imaginable but if anyone has an idea, I'd love to know both for my stats and just to know in case I ever see it again.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Was the kick partially blocked?

3. Rhody31

Was not blocked. This was low-level HS football, punter was trying to not lose as many yards as possible and booted it while running away from tacklers. The snap went well over his head, so it traveled like 15 yards in the air before getting to his offensive lineman, who I don't think understood the rule but caught it and ran anyway.

4. writingump

writingump Member

My best guess would be ,,, assuming from your description that the offense can't advance its own negative-yardage punt, the ball is downed where the lineman possessed it and the punter is given a minus 1-yard punt or whatever.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So you can catch your team's punt and run with it without penalty if it's behind the line? Is it really a punt in that event? A rush for a loss of a yard?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I would say a rush. Yes, the kicking team can pick up the ball and run with it so long as it's behind the line of scrimmage.

7. Rhody31

Offense did advance it. It was 4th and 8 at the 35, snap went over punter’s head, he eventually got it and kicked it. His own lineman caught it at the 31, turned upfield and was tackled at the 42, a yard short of the first down.
    From what I did see online, a punt isn’t considered a punt until it crosses the LOS. But that story gave no indication what the play would be considered.

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

From the NCAA statisticians manual:

Article 6. A ball loose on an unblocked punt that does not cross
    the line of scrimmage can be advanced by either team. The loss on
    the punt is minus yardage charged against punting. If a player of
    the kicking team recovers the ball and advances it, credit him with
    a rush and rushing yardage from the point of recovery. If a player of
    the receiving team advances the ball, credit him with a punt return
    and yardage from the point of recovery.
    A.R. 1. Team A’s ball on its 30. Adams’ punt glances off
    his foot. He (or a teammate) picks the ball up at the 20 and
    advances to the 35. Charge Adams with a punt of minus 10
    yards. Credit the player advancing the ball with a rush of 15
    yards.

9. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

This opens up all sorts of questions (well, maybe just one). Can the player on the kicking team who catches or picks up the negative-yardage punt then throw it to a teammate across the LOS? Like, could you do a whole fake punt play design around this?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As long as there has not been a forward pass, then yes. In the description of the play above, yes, a pass is legal.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What are the chances no lineman went downfield though?

12. Rhody31

Thanks for the help on this one.
    Brought me back to 2004 when stat Q’s would pop up on the site almost weekly.

rtse11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted