1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health crisis for Mary Lou Retton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

“Miracle on IC (u)!”

maumann and dixiehack like this.
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I miss the old Monday Nigbt Baseball games on ABC.

Only had the Cubs on WGN in those days - pre-TBS and the Braves, from what I remember - so you could watch non-Cubs games only on the NBC Game of the Week on Saturday, and the random Monday Night Baseball game.

Being able to actually watch Nolan Ryan pitch for the Angels against the Tigers on some Monday night in June made you feel like you had the world in the palm of your hand.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I just can't.

An A for effort though.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So if she dies, we all get free furniture?

:(

BartonK and Matt1735 like this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Haha no this question was legitimately not about Al's status as an announcer! I remember reading that if he'd leaned the other way during the earthquake, he would have fallen out of the booth. I was just curious if that was true or something that got embellished with time (and b/c it was 1989).

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does Retton have health insurance? What is her financial situation? She must have made a lot of money in endorsements back in the 80's but her name recognition today would be extremely low for anyone under 45.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. DanOregon

Still weird to think Michaels didn't get MNF until six years after Lake Placid. There had to be a new contract negotiation in that span, surprised NBC or CBS didn't sweep him up - he could have easily been the no. 2 at CBS for the NFL, and I'm guessing NBC was all in on Costas

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He already was on baseball by that point and he’s always thought of himself as a baseball guy.

10. DanOregon

Sure, but NFL is king. MNF had faded a bit by the time he got it. Its why you see networks shoehorn as many people as possible into their NFL productions, because doing "NFL" whether pre-game, post-game, sideline or whatever is still seen as a big gig. If you have to cover motocross in the summer in Albuquerque or sideline for the XFL - you do it because you are also able to get a taste of the NFL. One of the reasons I was surprised Kay Adams bailed on GMF to take a run at the Amazon pre-game. I have to think the Amazon pre-game gets fewer viewers than GMF over the course of a week, and you probably have bigger impact doing GMF. But I could be wrong.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Costas was a the studio guy, no? Enberg/Olsen were the top team

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He wasn't going to oblivion behind Summerall/Madden or Enberg/Olsen as the No. 2 at those networks. Summerall stayed No. 1 at CBS until 1994, when CBS lost the NFC package to Fox and Fox, rightly, picked up Summerall/Madden to lend some credibility to getting the package. Enberg stayed No. 1 at NBC until 1998 when NBC lost the AFC package to CBS.

Al made all the right moves in his career. And even getting dumped by NBC has been proven the incorrect call by the colored feathered network with milquetoast Tirico -- but Al at least cashed in with Amazon. Still, he's painfully missed on Sunday nights.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted